slow runner for watchung

Jessie
I'm looking for a running partner or partners.  I run about a 10:30 comfortably on the road.  I'd like to learn the trails at Watching Reservation.

Anyone interested?

Re: slow runner for watchung

RPMcMurphy(Rob)
Just name a time and place! We (My wife and I) are also looking to learn the trails there and run 10:30 on the road. We've actually never run there and are kinda trail newbies.

-Rob & Laurie

Re: slow runner for watchung

Hey Jesse, come out to any of our Sunday runs at Watchung and we will be more than happy to show you around.
dp

Re: slow runner for watchung

dp
Is anyone running Watchung this Sunday? I noticed on the homepage that the group run is at South Mountain.

Jessie, I'm about that pace, too, and I'm hoping to get to Watchung soon for my first time with the group.

Re: slow runner for watchung

Dave K
We ran Watchung last Sunday.  It was my first time there and it was great.  Chris knows the trail very well (and provides excellent commentary along the way!).

South Mountain is pretty close so come on out this Sunday.  I'm a trail newbie myself but the others in the group made me feel right at home.

Re: slow runner for watchung

davesvn007 wrote
We ran Watchung last Sunday.  It was my first time there and it was great.  Chris knows the trail very well (and provides excellent commentary along the way!).
Thanks Dave, I only had to run that trail 100+ times to get it down!

Re: slow runner for watchung

Dave K
Chris - how does the South Mountain trail compare?  About the same?  Tough to tell from Google Earth!

For those who browse the thread all I can say is come on out and run.  I'm hooked.

Re: slow runner for watchung

Well My wife and I are planning to do 20 or so miles this weekend between sat and sunday.....so everyone just name a time and place each day and we'll be there!

Re: slow runner for watchung

Dave K
Sunday at 8:30am at South Mountain.  Directions on home page.  Hope to you see you there.

Re: slow runner for watchung

davesvn007 wrote
Chris - how does the South Mountain trail compare?  About the same?  Tough to tell from Google Earth!
Overall, it is definitely tougher than Watchung, but still very runnable.  It depends on the trail, but generally there are more rocks and some steeper climbs (nothing too long).  But there is some really nice fast single track, which you don't get too much of at Watchung. It is really a great place to run.

I think the route for Sunday is going to be Rahway (white) to Turtleback (orange) and then back on the Lenape (yellow). That should be about 9-10 miles.

Link to trail map

Re: slow runner for watchung

Mountain Goat
Heard there may be a mountain goat siting this weekend on the trails

Re: slow runner for watchung

Tom7
This is good news. I heard the mountain goat was an endangered species, on the brink of extinction and last seen in a bar feasting on pizza and beer.

Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

From: "Mountain Goat [via NJ Trail & Ultra Forum]" <[hidden email]>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2010 18:22:49 -0700 (PDT)
To: Tom7<[hidden email]>
Subject: Re: slow runner for watchung

Heard there may be a mountain goat siting this weekend on the trails

View message @ http://nj-trail-ultra-forum.4246737.n2.nabble.com/slow-runner-for-watchung-tp5571918p5581897.html

Re: slow runner for watchung

Dave K
I can't tell what path is what from the map.  I'll just follow you.

Any place in particular to park?  Never been there so no idea.

Re: slow runner for watchung

haven't been neaar the bars or the pizza. Just running 1/2 marathons on the road

Re: slow runner for watchung

Jessie
I'm going to try to come this Sunday...if I can't handle it will I be able to turn back?  Do I carry water with me?

Re: slow runner for watchung

Nothing to drink and no turning back.  Not really.

Definitely bring something to drink.  You can turn back at any time. It is a little trickier than Watchung, as that is a loop so at one point you actually pass pretty close to the cars.  This is going to be an out and back trip. It will be about a 2hr. run.

Re: slow runner for watchung

Len, hope you can make it out. It will be good to catch up.

Re: slow runner for watchung

RPMcMurphy(Rob)
Looking forward to meeting everyone. Jessie - No worries we are on the slow side too. 10-10:30 pace on the road too.

Re: slow runner for watchung

Dave K
Pretty much the same here... my long-distance road pace is 10 min/mile, 5 mile pace is closer to 9'15.  But throw all that out the window when running the trails.  I was told to figure on adding maybe 60 to 90 seconds onto your road pace, and that seemed to work out about right for me.

Re: slow runner for watchung

Mountain Goat
Street fair in Millburn on Sunday. Give yourself a few extra minutes to get to Sth mtn b/c will be detoured around downtown