shoe stores for minimalist shoes?

Matt
Does anyone have any suggestions on any stores in North Jersey that carry a decent selection of minimalist shoes?  i.e. Altra, Merrell, New Balance, vivobarefoot, INOV-8, etc.  I would like to be able to actually try shoes on and have them in my hand instead of ordering 5 different ones from Zappos, only to return 4 (or maybe all 5) of them.  thanks!

Re: shoe stores for minimalist shoes?

Steve
Starting line sport in Madison carries inov8 - I think Len (one of this group) might still work there

Re: shoe stores for minimalist shoes?

bethha10
Fleet Feet Sports in Montclair carries a model or 2 of the Altra shoe, and the New Balance minumus road, trail, and road and trail zeros

Does anyone have any suggestions on any stores in North Jersey that carry a decent selection of minimalist shoes?  i.e. Altra, Merrell, New Balance, vivobarefoot, INOV-8, etc.  I would like to be able to actually try shoes on and have them in my hand instead of ordering 5 different ones from Zappos, only to return 4 (or maybe all 5) of them.  thanks!

http://nj-trail-ultra-forum.4246737.n2.nabble.com/shoe-stores-for-minimalist-shoes-tp7579077.html

Re: shoe stores for minimalist shoes?

Yes. Starting line in Madison. We have inov8, Altra, Hokas among others

Re: shoe stores for minimalist shoes?

Tommy
Road Runner Sports has a decent selection.  Mostly major brands, not sure if they have vivobarefoot.  You can also check out REI.
sg

Re: shoe stores for minimalist shoes?

sg
Once you know your size, you can get them online.  You can go to one of the stores mentioned above to get the sizing right then go online shopping.  Since minimal shoes are unpopular and most retailers are trying to get rid of them, you can get them very cheap.  You didn't ask but I'll tell you this.  Merrel Vapor Glove is the best one out there

Re: shoe stores for minimalist shoes?

Retail runner
How about go to the stores mentioned and BUY the shoe at the store.  Online is fine, but don't waste a small business time and than go scurry off to the net to save a couple of bucks.

Thanks for all the suggestions!  I'll have to check a couple of them out.  I currently run in Luna's or SoftStar Runamoc for the road, and Merrell trail glove on the trails.  I've read good things about the vapor gloves, and wouldn't mind getting a pair eventually.   But I'd like to try on some more options for trails.  My feet felt kinda beat up after Bear Mountain last year, and could use a little bit more then the Trail Gloves for that race this year.
sg

Re: shoe stores for minimalist shoes?

sg
Apologies to all running store owners.  My post reads like an endorsement of showrooming, which I am against.  I meant it for shoes which you know you want but are not sold at any store around you.

FYI...vapor glove and trail glove sizing are very similar...

Re: shoe stores for minimalist shoes?

I'm a little late replying to this thread, but Matt, if you haven't found something yet, definitely look into the Merrell Ascend Glove. Very similar to the Trail Glove, but with a better rock plate, better traction, and a bit more protection for the soles of your feet.
Although the Trail Glove is my favorite shoe ever, it is just too punishing on my feet for longer runs on harsh terrain. I like the Altra shoes i have, but they're a little "too much shoe" for my preference, and the Ascend Glove fills the niche in-between the Altras and the Trail Gloves.

Re: shoe stores for minimalist shoes?

JohnnyDePaola
Just saw this post now, and I would have skipped responding, but I didn't see anyone mention Campmor in Paramus. They have a pretty good selection of minimalist shoes, that's where I bought my first pair of Trail Gloves.

I'll second the mention for Merrell's Ascend Gloves as well, they have a great road/trail feel but are much more protective than the Trail Gloves. I got my Ascend Glove's at REI in Paramus.

Re: shoe stores for minimalist shoes?

If anyone is interested, the Ascend Gloves are on sale at Amazon for half off right now. Not all sizes/colors, but if you were thinking of trying them out, this is a great deal.
I just ordered myself two more pairs

Ascend Glove, men's

Sorry ladies, the women's version is not quite half off, but some options are on sale for a pretty good price.

Hope everyone has a great run this weekend!