"Rubber" legs

Michael K7
I did 15 or so miles in Harriman today, and towards the end, my calves started cramping up something fierce. I couldn't run more than a few steps without one or both starting to cramp up. Even while hiking i had to watch my foot landings, as a wrong step would start the cramping. Once i got off the trails, i was able to run gingerly on the road back to the train station, although that may have been desperation overpowering muscle since i didn't want to wait 2 hours for the next train

I was wondering if the more experienced runners here have any advice on how to avoid or deal with this situation. Or is it just part of running lots of miles on terrain like that?
I was taking electrolyte capsules, and drinking water, although maybe not enough of the electrolytes...
Thanks in advance for any advice.

I will give the guys and gals here a lot of credit- i don't know how you last for 50k or 50 miles, but my hat's off to you.

Re: "Rubber" legs

Steve
Cramping is often a combination of dehydration and electrolyte imbalance. Usually a banana or some dates will do wonders but it's really tough to recover once it gets ahead of you. Glad you caught your train :)

Re: "Rubber" legs

Michael K7
Thanks Steve- one of my friends said the same thing. Replaying the run in my mind, i don't think i was drinking enough water at the start, and i probably should have taken some more electrolytes.
Live and learn!

Re: "Rubber" legs

Tommy
With the heat this weekend you definitely needed a lot of water.  There is no definitive answer on the cause of cramps but a lot of sources look at sodium being the culprit.  With all of the sweating you were probably doing you were losing a lot of salt from your system that you were not replacing, and that combined with dehydration is a killer.  Another key component is your physiology.  Some people cramp a lot others don't, seems to be somewhat luck of the draw.  Bring a lot of extra water and some salt tabs for the next one.

Re: "Rubber" legs

Michael K7
Thanks for the advice. I did have some Endurolytes, but obviously not enough. I think it may have been a combination of the weather, doing a longer run than i'm used to on such harsh terrain, and not enough water/electrolytes.