Winter running gear

JRMotown
Thought I'd gather advice on what works best for the cold long runs coming up.

For me, below 30 I wear a thermal (polyester) tight layer top and bottom, followed by a long sleeve tech shirt and nike light windpants. Past that maybe a thin windbreaker, golves, and synthetic hat. Wool socks (or two pairs if cold enough). Metal garbage can cover for fun and hopefully impact-free hill descents,

Only problem is when I sweat I have to change the underlayer.

Thoughts?

Re: Winter running gear

You look like you got your gear pretty dialed in.  The only thing that I might suggest if you are sweating too much, is to ditch the windbreaker outer layers if it you are running in dry conditions, as it probably doesn't breath well.  Especially on the legs, one layer should be enough.  Maybe replace the windbreaker jacket with a soft light breathable outer shell.

Re: Winter running gear

Dave K
Definitely keep the garbage can lid though.

Re: Winter running gear

JRMotown
Absolutely some falls off the can in my early days may have taken a toll though.

I went to The morristown store which always is top notch with their advice. The guy pretty much said the same thing get some kind of soft shell. Poly-anything seems like a sure shot.

Re: Winter running gear

seanaes
Don't discount the natural fibers like a wool under layer. Icebreaker or Patagonia will keep you warm even if you are wet from sweat ( or the rain ). Wool is a little more expensive than the synthetics but has the bonus of not retaining odor and being renewable.
For synthetic gear take a look at Craft, a fave of cross country skiiers (heavy aerobic activity there). Wilderness Running Company has some good posts recently on winter gear as well..

Re: Winter running gear

RPMcMurphy(Rob)
for a outter shell, check out the Sugoi windbreaker that turns into a vest. It's awesome. The sleeves are removable and attachable while running, via a super easy magnet system, and the sleeves are 1 kinda 'cape' piece.

Re: Winter running gear

JRMotown
Thanks, this is going to make my Christmas self-shopping portion very interesting. Wish I could be like those ice bath Swedish folks and go with a t-shirt and shorts year round.