Watchung Winter Ultra

12

Watchung Winter Ultra

A thread to discuss all things WWU related.

Re: Watchung Winter Ultra

Mountain Goat
ok- it will be cold & long

Re: Watchung Winter Ultra

it will be very cold

Re: Watchung Winter Ultra

Mountain Goat
forecast for weekend: Snow showers Friday, 25 overnight & 27 on Saturday

Re: Watchung Winter Ultra

I saw that.  That will actually be pretty good weather.  We get some fresh snow to cover the ice and we will have a crisp sunny day for race day.  Looks like parking might be tight, if anyone wants to carpool let me know.

I would carpool with Tom, but I don't want to wait all that time for him to finish. Zing! (maybe that will draw him out of hiding, it is actually making me a little worried that he has be so quiet this last week)

Re: Watchung Winter Ultra

I would carpool with Chris but worried we might get lost on the way. Recent history suggests same would be true of Jules!!
Seriously if anyone wants to drop their car at my place and we drive together thats OK. I'm about 4 miles away from the starting point and happy to wait at the end for you Chris.
Let me know

Cheers

Re: Watchung Winter Ultra

PS

I believe the Watchung Ultra has been designated a fancy dress event so I look forward to seeing you all in costume.

Re: Watchung Winter Ultra

Mountain Goat
I will wear my sunday best (even on a saturday). I any wants to, can meet at our normal start lot & drive over to start . Can load stuff in back of my truck & use as aid station.
I will be bringing big caraf of chicken soup & coffee. len

Re: Watchung Winter Ultra

If you haven't checked your email yet, this is the race update from Rick.

Tom, I didn't see him mention that it was a "fancy dress" event...he must have forgot.

"Everyone,

The time is upon us for the Winter 50K.  As everyone can easily tell, it is going to be COLD this weekend.  Please dress appropriately.  I would suggest several changes of clothes.  One set for a later loop and also some for after the run.  I am worried about people suffering from hypothermia.

The trails have been reported to be very icy in sections. Please be careful and use good judgment.  We are expected to get some snow tomorrow, but have a clear sunny day on Saturday.  Depending on how much snow we get, it may add a nice layer on top of the ice to make it not as slippery.  Please be prepared for all conditions.  The nice thing about it being a loop is you can change after 10 miles if you want.

The run starts at 8:00am.  If you start earlier, please tell the timer as you come through the aid station (or mark the sheet yourself).  I should be on property by 7:00am getting everything in place.

What to bring:
Other than a change of clothes please bring the following,
1). A donation for the United Way of Morris County.  This is a local organization that helps out local families.  This is not mandatory and not a fee.  This is in lieu of an entrance fee.  All checks should be made out to United Way of Morris County.

2). Due to the unexpected success of this run, it has come to the attention of the Park Authorities.  They have forced me to get insurance and permits for the run.  I have secured all necessary paperwork but at a personal expense.  I will have a second container for donations to off set these fees.  If everyone gives just a little, it will cover the cost and all extra will go into the United Way donation.  I would rather do it with two buckets than take anything away from the United Way.

3). Any food item you would like to leave at the aid station table.  This could include fruit, salty snacks, sweet snacks, gu, gels, flavored drinks, etc.  Also this could be a good chance for you to get rid of anything that you previously purchased that you don't like anymore.  Think of it as re-gifting for the ultra runner.

Parking:
As part of the permit we will be allowed to use some of the parking lot but not the whole thing.  This is going to push even more cars out to the overflow parking area.  If you signed up late or with the understanding of carpooling PLEASE abide by those restrictions.  The over flow parking is on the loop on WR Tracy Drive (located HERE).  You can walk across the field to the back side of the Trail Side Center.  If you have a cooler or anything you want to drop off feel free to do so before parking your car.
Directions to the actual parking lot and Trail Side Center can be obtained by plugging in your starting address HERE.

Timing:
I had a dedicated volunteer last year that recorded everyone's time on every loop.  I hope to have a similar situation again.  If I do, you will receive a number at sign in.  These will be assigned based on alphabetical order of participants.  As you pass through the aid station, if you would yell out your corresponding number. It will help the timers keep an accurate count of who is still on the course.  IF YOU LEAVE THE COURSE, please tell myself or someone else, so we do not send the police and rescue personnel out looking for you when you are home with your feet up and a beer in your hand.
If I am unable to secure a timer for the entire day AND you want your time recorded please enter it yourself as you pass the timing station.  If you leave, then just mark the sheet as well.  I am actually going to try to run the event myself, so I will not be at the aid station the entire day.

Bathrooms:
There are facilities to use prior to the run just next to the parking lot.  The Trail Side Center will be open as the day progresses and they have bathrooms as well.

Pets:
Pets are allowed on leash at the park.  Please be considerate of all other runners if you choose to bring yours.  Most of the trail is single track and not all runners are comfortable passing animals or getting passed by animals.  Also any long leash could become a tripping hazard.  Please use your best judgment.

Trail and distance:
The trail we will be using is the Sierra Trail that has an advertised distance of 10 Miles but everyone's GPS gives a different distance (all longer).  The runners doing the full 50K will do three loops of the Sierra Trail.  The runners doing the marathon will cut across the middle of the Reservation halfway through their 3rd loop.  The turn off will be marked with one sign (Black background with red tape).  Everyone will go at least the distance advertised (31 and 26.2 miles).

Other things:
I would love to see any pictures from everyone during the event.  I will be unable to run with each of you but I like to see the trail through your eyes.  In addition if anyone does a write up of the run please cc me or send me a link to read.  I will do a write up myself and send photos to Ultra Running Magazine.  The magazine will at a minimum list all finishers.  They may take the write up and publish that as well.  For the Mountain Madness 50K in October they also took two photos.

Everyone can join and post items to the NJ Trail Series Facebook page as well."

Re: Watchung Winter Ultra

Jules
Everyone see you saturday and all dress warm.  Tom will not be late or get lost.

Re: Watchung Winter Ultra

If it wasn't for those pesky kids! Seems my like cunning plan to make you all look like idiots has been foiled. Aah Well, better luck next time.

Getting itchy feet now and can't wait to start the jog on saturday.

Cheers All!

Re: Watchung Winter Ultra

I suggest running out & getting a pair of yaktrax pro if you do not have yet. only a small amount of snow so trails will be icey!

Re: Watchung Winter Ultra

Tom7
Never ran in them before and they usually say never experiment in a long run. However I think I'll get a pair loday and bring them along JIC. Lenny - what time will you be at our usual start place. I"l meet you there and join you to the start if that's OK. Cheerrs

Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

From: "Mountain Goat [via NJ Trail & Ultra Forum]" <[hidden email]>
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 2010 06:08:11 -0800 (PST)
To: Tom7<[hidden email]>
Subject: Re: Watchung Winter Ultra

I suggest running out & getting a pair of yaktrax pro if you do not have yet. only a small amount of snow so trails will be icey!

View message @ http://n2.nabble.com/Watchung-Winter-Ultra-tp4252863p4272650.html

Re: Watchung Winter Ultra

This is always an option also, if you have an extra pair of shoes.

http://www.skyrunner.com/screwshoe.htm

Re: Watchung Winter Ultra

since it starts at 8 I was thinking 7:30 but worried about getting a space at the start area. but i dont want to sit in cald too long either. what time you think? Len

Re: Watchung Winter Ultra

I was planning on getting there around 7:00/7:15. Have a good nite guys.

See you tomorrow.

Re: Watchung Winter Ultra

Mountain Goat
ok. i will be at our lot at 7:15 for anyone who wants to jump into my car to park at the start.

Re: Watchung Winter Ultra

Tom7
Great. I'll sprint to our normal starting place for 7:15 and take a lift of you. Cheers. Tom

Re: Watchung Winter Ultra

Congradulations to all the finishers today. Was fun but i don't want to see that trail again for awhile.

Re: Watchung Winter Ultra

Tom7
Bloody good fun indeed. But now I have the harder task of keeping a wife and 2 little girls entertained. Cheers all. Well done.

Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

From: "Mountain Goat [via NJ Trail & Ultra Forum]" <[hidden email]>
Date: Sat, 9 Jan 2010 13:35:56 -0800 (PST)
To: Tom7<[hidden email]>

Congradulations to all the finishers today. Was fun but i don't want to see that trail again for awhile.

View message @ http://n2.nabble.com/Watchung-Winter-Ultra-tp4252863p4279126.html

12