Trail advice please

Ollie
Hello,
I'm after some advice on where to run!
I'm an airline pilot and will have a spare day in Iselin next week (28th June). I'll be staying in Woodbridge & can hire a car or use public transport. I would like to get out and do a 15-20mile trail run out of town. I'm not interested in asphalt and concrete!
I live, and run, in the French Alps so hills are also good.
Many thanks
Ollie

Re: Trail advice please

Shamus
Hey Ollie!!  I live in Woodbridge!  How far are you willing to drive?  If you don't mind a 90 minute drive each way, we can go to Mt Tammany.  After 15-20 miles there, you'll feel like you've had a GREAT workout.  Its not as high or beautiful as the Alps but it's the best we got,  You might see a bear :)

Re: Trail advice please

Ollie
Hello Shamus,

Thanks for getting in touch. Are you interested in running? I have the whole day free on 27th (mon) but would need to be back in Woodbridge by ~1300 latest on tue; I have to get ~3 hours sleep before the early evening flight home.
I'm not assuming you'd drive; I can hire a car, & I'll probably go out alone if you're not free.
If it's a decent hill and warm then 10-15 miles would do just fine.
All the best
Ollie

From Ollies' iPhone

On 22 Jun 2016, at 18:34, Shamus [via NJ Trail & Ultra Forum] <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hey Ollie!!  I live in Woodbridge!  How far are you willing to drive?  If you don't mind a 90 minute drive each way, we can go to Mt Tammany.  After 15-20 miles there, you'll feel like you've had a GREAT workout.  Its not as high or beautiful as the Alps but it's the best we got,  You might see a bear :)

http://nj-trail-ultra-forum.4246737.n2.nabble.com/Trail-advice-please-tp7580208p7580209.html
To unsubscribe from Trail advice please, click here.

Re: Trail advice please

Shamus
Hi Ollie,

Yes, I will be happy to run with you.  It will be necessary to hire a car since I do not have one.  This is why I take all opportunities to get up to Mt Tammany.  My schedule is wide open, so I have no limitations there.  I can even meet you wherever you are staying to simplify your planning.  We can travel to the mountain on Monday morning and will probably have a good day running so we'll be ready to come back by Monday afternoon/evening.  There are options if you want to focus on distance over vertical gain or vice versa.  The best climb goes 1200 feet in 1.5 miles :)

Sean

Re: Trail advice please

Ollie
Hi Shaun,

Ok, I'll look into renting a car tomorrow and we'll plan to go out running on Monday. I'll be staying at the Renaissance by Woodbridge hotel and will be wide awake at 5am! Let me know when you want to leave and we'll get going. I don't need to kill myself on the trails so plan whichever run you'd like to do and we'll do that.

All the best

Ollie

Sent from my iPad

http://nj-trail-ultra-forum.4246737.n2.nabble.com/Trail-advice-please-tp7580208p7580211.html
To unsubscribe from Trail advice please, click here.

Re: Trail advice please

Shamus
Hey Ollie,

That sounds great!  I live very close to your hotel and can meet you in the lobby there at 6:00 am if that's good with you.  The drive is approx 90 minutes and we need to get there relatively early to get a good parking spot in the "good lot."

Bring some towels with you from that place, they're probably real nice :)  There's nothing better than jumping in Dunnfield creek after a few hot miles at the Tam!!

See you Monday,
Shamus

Re: Trail advice please

Ollie
Hi Shamus,

Car rental place opens at 0700 so no point getting to the lobby before 0715 and I should be ready to go.
Quick question. I use lightweight hiking poles for the going up the local mountains. Any need for them there?
Look forward to it.

Ollie

Sent from my iPad

http://nj-trail-ultra-forum.4246737.n2.nabble.com/Trail-advice-please-tp7580208p7580214.html
To unsubscribe from Trail advice please, click here.

Re: Trail advice please

Shamus
Hey Ollie, no problem, 7:15 am it is!

The poles will probably come in handy when we do the steep red/blue trail but for the out and back section to Sunfish Pond you won't need them.  The Mt Tammany loop gains 1200 feet in 1.5 miles then drops the same in about 1.7 miles back down.  We can do the hiking part first (~3.5 miles) which will end up at the car, drop off the poles and then do the flatter out and back section (8 miles).

Then we jump in the creek :)

See you on Monday,

Re: Trail advice please

Ollie
Morning Shamus,

I got into the hotel lobby late last night to see that the rental office opens at 0730. The lady on the phone definitely told me 0700, but don't rush over here this morning...

See you later

Ollie

Sent from my iPad

On 25 Jun 2016, at 14:56, Shamus [via NJ Trail & Ultra Forum] <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hey Ollie, no problem, 7:15 am it is!

The poles will probably come in handy when we do the steep red/blue trail but for the out and back section to Sunfish Pond you won't need them.  The Mt Tammany loop gains 1200 feet in 1.5 miles then drops the same in about 1.7 miles back down.  We can do the hiking part first (~3.5 miles) which will end up at the car, drop off the poles and then do the flatter out and back section (8 miles).

Then we jump in the creek :)

See you on Monday,

http://nj-trail-ultra-forum.4246737.n2.nabble.com/Trail-advice-please-tp7580208p7580216.html
To unsubscribe from Trail advice please, click here.
NAML