Thanksgiving Day Marathon

I just got an email about this run.  It looks like it is going to be a pretty fun time. I am 95% on for the marathon distance.

http://www.thethanksgivingmarathon.com/

Re: Thanksgiving Day Marathon

Mountain Goat
Looks like fun but already signed up for 8K in Glen ridge. Next year

Re: Thanksgiving Day Marathon

Nope.
Decided to adopt the traditions of my host nation this Thanksgiving.
Will therefore spend the day consuming unhealthy and frankly unnecessary quanities of food and alcohol.
Might even watch a little football. I'm looking forward to it, except for the football!

I am however trying to escape the Black Friday Shopping Mall frenzy, aka. Hell on Earth.
If anyone is around to join for a gentle jog on the friday, let me know.

Cheers

Re: Thanksgiving Day Marathon

bardbu
Mountain Goat,
I'll be at the Glen Ridge run as well. I'll look for you. You shouldn't be hard to spot...what with the hair, horns, and all.
Good luck, if i don't see you.

Re: Thanksgiving Day Marathon

It looks like the organizer has some cool plans for 2011.

"Expect to hear more about the following races coming in 2011:
The NYC 100 Mile (On the Central Park Reservoir)
The Three Bridges Run 100km: Times Square to the top of Bear Mountain (course)
The NYC Aquaduct Ultra 42 mile (Bryant Park to Croton Dam)"

Re: Thanksgiving Day Marathon

gohmdoree
I signed up for Glen Ridge as well, but not sure if I will do the VC run instead.

Re: Thanksgiving Day Marathon

seanaes
I'm 94% on doing this - just slightly less committed than Chris

Re: Thanksgiving Day Marathon

JRMotown
That would burn 1/64,000 of the calories to be ingested a short time later. Gotta drive out to East PA though so still up in the air.

Re: Thanksgiving Day Marathon

seanaes
Was a great turnout today. I hadn't run there since I was a kid running cross country. Met up with Chris, Elizabeth and Lisa and ran with them for the first 4 or so miles but I couldn't keep with their pace. Ended up doing the half-marathon (2:05) as my slower pace wasn't going to get me to thanksgiving dinner in time :(

happy thanksgiving

Re: Thanksgiving Day Marathon

Good run today!  It was great running with Sean (even if it was only for 4 miles), Lisa, and Elisabeth, who made the first two laps fly by and set a great pace for the rest of the race. I originally thought this was going to be a really flat "roadlike" trail run, but the course turned out to be deceptively hilly.  My main training focus for the day was to try to keep a consistent pace through out the race, which besides for sucking a little on the third lap I felt I met my goal.  I even managed to run the last loop the fastest of my race.  The race organization and course markings were all really great, especially for a Fatass event.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!!!!

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/57907908
(Does anyone know how to make the Garmin show each mile time?)

Pretty good turn out

Re: Thanksgiving Day Marathon

gohmdoree
i mustered a finish in 6:06.  i cannot walk right now.  i'm walking like i have a full leg cast.  now for some rest and hopefully get normal

Re: Thanksgiving Day Marathon

gohmdoree wrote
i mustered a finish in 6:06.  i cannot walk right now.  i'm walking like i have a full leg cast.  now for some rest and hopefully get normal
Congratulations Charles, nice job!  Walking is overrated is overrated anyway.

Re: Thanksgiving Day Marathon

Daddyrox

(Does anyone know how to make the Garmin show each mile time?)

No but that would be nice.  What would be really cool - in the Player - the ability to select a section of the course and view all of the stats for that section.

Nice job on the marathon!

Chris

Re: Thanksgiving Day Marathon

RPMcMurphy(Rob)
Either hit 'lap' each mile or each section, or set it to 'autolap' -- mode --- training --- training options -- autolap.

Re: Thanksgiving Day Marathon

Daddyrox
Thanks for the tip.  The autolap feature works well.  Ideally I'd like to be able to dynamically 'zoom' in on a section of a course (via the Player) and see those stats, but this is good too.

Here's a report of a slow jog this morning at Mahlon, with the autolap on...

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/58083020
Chris

Re: Thanksgiving Day Marathon

RPMcMurphy wrote
Either hit 'lap' each mile or each section, or set it to 'autolap' -- mode --- training --- training options -- autolap.
The autolap setting is exactly what I was looking for.  I barely remember to stop the watch when I finish the race, let alone manually timing each lap.

Thanks Rob!