TNF Bear Mountain

Scott H
Hope everyone has a great race tomorrow! Be safe and have fun.

Re: TNF Bear Mountain

Tommy
I am looking forward to my first 50 miler and trying to quell the raging anxiety and paranoia.  A stomach ache is suddenly the flu, a headache is a brain tumor, my knees and ankles are about to crumble, etc.  Everything is magnified 24 hours before a race.

So far I know that me, Bob Meyer and Casual Rick McAndress are running (Bob & me in the 50 miler, Rick in the 50k).  Who else is going to be there?

Re: TNF Bear Mountain

I'll be pacing from Loanawa on. In other terms getting a free run in. Watch out for snakes!

Re: TNF Bear Mountain

Good luck everyone!

Enjoy the journey!

Re: TNF Bear Mountain

casual rick
Wonderful day for a 50K.

Lots of mud. Lots of rocks. Good vibes all around. Sweet Sierra Nevadas.
I came in around 6:55.

How'd others do?

Re: TNF Bear Mountain

Michael K7
Nice job Rick!

Re: TNF Bear Mountain

AliBryanJones
I was running the 50 miler and came in a little under 12 hours.  My post-race thoughts were:

1. I haven't seen that much mud since I left Scotland
2. The rocks of Timp Pass made a welcome diversion from the mud
3. I've never seen a potato with square edges

I think I prefer the MoMa course - it has better views and is 20 miles shorter
sg

Re: TNF Bear Mountain

sg
Crash and Burn Baby!!

Tried for 50 miles and only made 29.03.  Quit due to bugs.

Thanks to Jason for offering to pace and then being cool with just hanging and drinking and listening to me whine

The trails were pretty wet and I don't know how those fast guys did it in 7 hours.....Unbelievable!!

But the folks who took over 13 hours are my real heroes.  That's guts.

All in all, a great time on a great day.  Great Job out there, everyone!!

Re: TNF Bear Mountain

seanaes
Fantastically muddy day out there. Sunny enough to get a little bit of sunburn but cool enough to feel great all day. Finished the 50k in 7:21 - 5th year in a row :)

lowlight: ended up with a cup of warm chicken broth mixed in my water bottle at 3.5 mile aid station (who needs chicken broth 3 miles into an ultra - and who puts it mixed amongst the water, soda and sports drinks in the aid station) and basically ran the next 5 miles without hydration - and only getting in 1/2 a gel. My stomach felt really off (haven't eaten chicken anything in 20 years :/ ) until after mile 14

highlight: running straight through every puddle and mud pit and passing all the people trying to tip toe around the puddles in their already wet and muddy shoes.

All in all a really really great day

Re: TNF Bear Mountain

Scott H
Great job everyone! That course is no joke.
See you on the trails soon.

Re: TNF Bear Mountain

Mountain Goat
No it was not. Mud  & water added to fun. Felt good 90% of the run for 6:03:44 in the 50k

Re: TNF Bear Mountain

Tommy
Bob Meyer and I finished the 50 miler in 12:26:59, which we were happy with.  Came in a little better than our planned pace and I think the mud probably cost us 30 minutes or so at least since it took away a lot of the runnable sections.  Stopped to change shoes at the second Lanowa AS which felt great and was worth the 10 minutes or so it cost us.  Bugs didn't bother us too much, just some annoying gnats which mostly went away after the sun went behind the clouds around the 30 mile mark.  All in all, the weather was pretty good, temperature was right (a little hot midday when the sun was out but it cooled down once the clouds came in).

For my first 50 miler I was thrilled just to finish with no major pain or injury and will be there again next year.  Can't wait to run MoMa again this year and see the positive impact this has had on me.

Re: TNF Bear Mountain

Ali Bryan-Jones
Just mentioning that the Virtual Goody Bag includes a free magazine subscription, but if you don't want the subscription there is a link to a form you can fill in and $20 of your race entry fee is refunded (if I'm reading it right).  The link supposedly expires at midnight tonight so might be worth checking it out if you haven't done so already.

Re: TNF Bear Mountain

Tommy
You are correct.  You need to complete a form and send it along with proof of event registration to Rodale and you will get a $20 refund.  I will take that over a subscription to Woman's Health any day!