South Mountain Trail Condition

Tommy
Has anyone been out to South Mountain this week since we got all the snow?  I am wondering what the snow depth is like on the trails and if they have been pretty well tramped down by walkers and hikers to make them runnable.  My normal trails in Ramapo are going to be deep with snow and pretty much unrunnable so I thought I would switch venues (which gives me some prep for Febapple while I am at it).

Re: South Mountain Trail Condition

Sebounet
We got 9-10inch cumulated with thick ice on top. Not runnable unless hikers packed it down.
I have not been on the trails yet. So I don't know if some trails if any are packed down.
Trying to get info  if Watchung is any better.

I was planning to run at 8:30 on Saturday either Watchung or SoMo.

Sent from my iPhone

On Feb 7, 2014, at 9:02 AM, "Tommy [via NJ Trail & Ultra Forum]" <[hidden email]> wrote:

Has anyone been out to South Mountain this week since we got all the snow?  I am wondering what the snow depth is like on the trails and if they have been pretty well tramped down by walkers and hikers to make them runnable.  My normal trails in Ramapo are going to be deep with snow and pretty much unrunnable so I thought I would switch venues (which gives me some prep for Febapple while I am at it).

http://nj-trail-ultra-forum.4246737.n2.nabble.com/South-Mountain-Trail-Condition-tp7579140.html

Re: South Mountain Trail Condition

bhousel
I ran some of Watchung on Tuesday before the ice and it wasn't really runnable then.  Better suited for snowshoes or skis.  It was fun though and nice for taking pictures.  I'm sure it's worse now that it froze solid.

I guess the trails are passable but expect it to take 2x as much time as you are used to, and wear traction and gaiters if you have them.

Sent from my iPhone

On Feb 7, 2014, at 9:22 AM, "Sebounet [via NJ Trail & Ultra Forum]" <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

http://nj-trail-ultra-forum.4246737.n2.nabble.com/South-Mountain-Trail-Condition-tp7579140p7579141.html

Re: South Mountain Trail Condition

RunningFoxNJ
I'm really hoping that by Sunday SOMO is packed down to do one last 10mi loop for Febapple. If anyone can let me know how things look out there, please help. The last time it snowed really bad it took me 3.25hrs to finish the 10mi loop, and that's with getting lost in there. :-/ Thanks in advance, and good luck to anyone who braves the trails this weekend!
Live life to the fullest, no excuses.

Re: South Mountain Trail Condition

jbyram2
I ran the 4 mile loop today (after taking the grand tour of So Orange).  The ice was thick enough to hold me up (at 215 lbs), but only about half of the time. run run run post hole run run run post hole post hole. A few scary sections where the trail was near the edge of the hill, and one slip would mean a long painful slide. I wasn't the first to run the trail, so by race day I'd expect the weak ice to be all broken through, and the strong ice to be still standing.  Took me 1:40.

Re: South Mountain Trail Condition

Steve
Watchung today. 7miles = 2hours. Tough going now. I suspect SoMo will be fine by race day if the weather warms the way it is forecasted. Good luck racers. It should be fun.

Re: South Mountain Trail Condition

Tommy
I am hoping it improves by next weekend, because after 31.5 miles on the treadmill this weekend (14 miles yesterday and 17.5 miles today) I am ready to get back into the fresh air!