Sheet Metal Screws Pan Head Stainless Steel - Half Inch

Sheet Metal Screws Pan Head Stainless Steel - Half Inch

Tom7
I had read that putting sheet metal screws in the bottom of running shoes was an economical method of gaining traction and hopefully surviving runs in icy conditions. As I'm too mean to buy a proper traction system I thought I'd give it a go.

My research led me to learn that these screws come in different lengths. My logic told me that getting the optimum length was rather important. If the screws were too short, they would not be very secure and would readily fall out. If the screws were too long - I might struggle the get the shoes off after the run.

After measuring the thickness of the soles on my Salomon XT Wings I opted for the 1/2" variety.

I ordered the screws from Gemplers and have to say I was very satisfied with their service. They didn't even laugh when I told them what I wanted them for.

http://www.gemplers.com/product/WEB163519/Sheet-Metal-Screws-Pan-Head-18-8-Stainless-Steel

On receipt of the goods I excitedly opened the package. I immediately got out my toolkit and started to hammer them into the soles of my running shoes. This wasn't successful and almost caused me to blind myself as the first screw flew from the responsive sole of my Salomons into my left eye. I checked the label on the packet and was disgusted to see that there was no warning label to prevent this from happening. Next time I'm suing the bastards!

Anyway, I eventually found out that a screwdriver was the best tool for the job and I put 15 into each shoe.

I trialed my new purchase at the Watchung Ultra and have to say that I was very pleased. I had good traction, only lost one screw in the entire 50Km and made a delightful click-click sound when running on the short asphalt sections.

I only wish I had known about the hex head variety of Sheet Metal Screws and will try these next time:

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=6506&familyName=%2314+Self+Tappers+Hex+Washer+Head

Yes I'm very bored and the wife is watching shite on TV.

Re: Sheet Metal Screws Pan Head Stainless Steel - Half Inch

I also went the screw shoe route for the Watchung Ultra (using instructions found at http://www.skyrunner.com/screwshoe.htm)

As the NorthFace Singletracks have a pretty thin forefoot, I went with 3/8 screws in the front and 1/2 screws in the beefier heel sections.

While the screws were in the shoes, I have absolutely no complaints.  They really worked brilliantly on ice, slippery snow, and slick descents.  Unfortunately, I lost almost all the shorter screws in the forefoot by 8 miles into the race. This was most likely do to the shorter length of front screws, as I only lost 1 heel screw over the 50K.

For the above reason, I wouldn't go this route again. Mostly because I don't like the idea of potentially leaving debris on the trail, which would especially be bad where people bike.  But if you do want to go this route, definitely go with the 1/2 screws (I have a box of 100 if anyone is interested).

Re: Sheet Metal Screws Pan Head Stainless Steel - Half Inch

Mountain Goat
I also went the sheet metal screw route. Used #8's that were 3/8 length-front & back. did not lose a screw. I added only to the perimeter, into the lugs. I found the rubber to be stiffer there & therfore hold more securely. I think how much they stay in will vary shoe to shoe due to the rubber quality. Using a small 9volt drill, took me less then 5 minutes a shoe

Re: Sheet Metal Screws Pan Head Stainless Steel - Half Inch

Tom7
Just so everyone knows.
The initial product review post for Pan Head  Sheet Metal Screws was intended as a joke.
Very little of the review is factual. For instance I did not buy them from Gemplers, they were from Home Depo.

Re: Sheet Metal Screws Pan Head Stainless Steel - Half Inch

gohmdoree
Haven't used them as of yet, but purchased Ice Spikes.  They look the same as the screws you used.  Could have saved a bit going that route.

Re: Sheet Metal Screws Pan Head Stainless Steel - Half Inch

seanaes
Spending more money can make you "run like rally car"
La Sportiva makes hobnails which do the same thing as the sheet metal screws but way better because they are Italian.

Video with Rally Car and Running in the snow, also Italian accent

Tom, do note he calls it a spanner.

Re: Sheet Metal Screws Pan Head Stainless Steel - Half Inch

Tom7
He calls it a spanner because he uses a spanner. Thats not a screw driver.

I like 'em but 45$. No chance!

Can't believe this has become a serious thread. It was intended as a spoof.

Re: Sheet Metal Screws Pan Head Stainless Steel - Half Inch

JRMotown
Much respect to any barefoot runner who does this.

Re: Sheet Metal Screws Pan Head Stainless Steel - Half Inch

RPMcMurphy(Rob)
Rally racing? NOW I'm interested.

Re: Sheet Metal Screws Pan Head Stainless Steel - Half Inch

RPMcMurphy(Rob)
*reasons why Boulder is cooler than NJ. This is the recent email from the Boulder Trail runner group...

BoulderTrailRunner wrote
<singing> screw shoes are a girl's best friend...

Howdy slowpokes,
The screw shoe clinic was successful last weekend, so we can keep
running on the slippery stuff now. Meet at 10 AM Sunday at the
Chautauqua ranger cottage for a loop around Enchanted Mesa and the Mesa
trail.

If you don't have traction, let me know and I can bring the cordless
drill and screws, and we'll get you all set up.

This is a run for newbies, seniors, children, folks recovering from
injuries, returning runners, the genetically challenged, those with
hangovers, and anyone else who means it when they say they run slow. If
you run 12 minute miles or faster on flat trails, you’re too fast for
us.

slow runners slip less,
-Ann