Schooley's Number 3

gohmdoree
Signed up recently for Schooley's #3.  Heard its much easier than the Mountain Madness course.

Good enough to bring just a handheld?  I ran MM with a pack.

Is it much easier as they say?  Looking forward to getting out there.

Re: Schooley's Number 3

JRMotown
That was fun. Did you try the handheld?

Re: Schooley's Number 3

gohmdoree
Went with the handheld.  Proved to be enough.

I actually missed the turn after you came up the steep part.  I repeated the loop downhill to the road and back up.

Got to find a way to strengthen my ankles.  They were feeling pretty overworked.

Signed up for the 10 miles, but just did one loop.  Added almost 2 miles I think to the first loop.

Re: Schooley's Number 3

Steve
re: Ankle Strength
Two things that have really helped me and can be done while standing around or sitting at the office.

1. Do circles with your feet. Pick your foot up & do several circles both clockwise and counter clockwise. Get into the habit of doing this while you are sitting around at the office waiting for the next run. It really helps, especially with the front of the shin.
2. Toe pulls. with your feet flat on the floor, just pull your toes upwards and hold. You can feel this across all the tendons that connect your ankles to your toes.

The third thing is to try to run on trails as much as you can. The uneven surface is great for ankle strength.

Hope this helps. Happy trails!

-Steve

Re: Schooley's Number 3

gohmdoree
Thanks Steve for the tips.

I ran in the Paine to Pain half and thought that wasn't so bad.  My second trail experience was Mountain Madness.  I was completely floored.  I felt nimble for the first half, but during the second half I was suffering from fatigue and kept catching my foots on the rocks.  I fell a few times.

I think that was going through my mind this time stepping on the leaves not knowing what might be underneath.

My next two races are trail races.  Looking forward to getting some "practice" before hopefully.

Charles