Salomon XT Advanced Skin 5 S-Lab Hydration Pack

12

Salomon XT Advanced Skin 5 S-Lab Hydration Pack

RPMcMurphy(Rob)
My Nathan strap broke at mile 5 on my 33miler this weekend, due to it being...sucky. (or me overloading it with Perpetuem bottles).

I immediately came home and ordered this. Pricey, yes but FFS it's one of the only packs to also have shoulder strap/front water bottles. (i know tom has one) and I've been looking for one.

This one is pretty awesome. You can read reviews/videos here.

http://www.irunfar.com/2010/10/salomon-advanced-skin-s-lab-hydration-pack-review.html

http://www.geziyorum.net/salomon-advanced-skin-slab/

what I like about it:
EASY to refill, no zippered comparetments, its open at the top.
insulated hose with quick disconnect (mine froze a lot this winter)
insulated water pouch actually too...
front water bottle holders for perpetuem
very light, small, tight, not bulky.
lots of storage in a little package, I'd say its even smaller than my nathan, or rather less bulky and more fitting, like a 'second skin' ;)

what I don't like:
Front straps are a little tight for my american build
pricey
no easy way to store the bungees that are there to store your 'walking pole' that the Europeans use like a old-mans cane ;)

Re: Salomon XT Advanced Skin 5 S-Lab Hydration Pack

Steve
mine arrives Friday - can't wait

Re: Salomon XT Advanced Skin 5 S-Lab Hydration Pack

RPMcMurphy(Rob)
the bottle holders in front are a little low/under the arm....curious if they are going to bother me. can't wait to try it out on Sunday.

Re: Salomon XT Advanced Skin 5 S-Lab Hydration Pack

That looks like an awesome pack.  I never saw that one before, I don't think it was out when I was looking for a TR pack.  The chest straps do look a little weird, interested to know how they work out.

Re: Salomon XT Advanced Skin 5 S-Lab Hydration Pack

nice pick let me know how it is

Re: Salomon XT Advanced Skin 5 S-Lab Hydration Pack

Tom7
Looks like a great pack. Brilliantly functional and very very stylish.

There's just something about it I don't like. Difficult to explain but it just looks too "fancy".

Maybe when it gets stained with exploded gu, blood, sweat and deer shit I'll prefer it. Do they sell it pre-stained or do you have to actually run with it to obtain these necessary imperfections?

Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

From: "Jules \"silentstorm\" Moore [via NJ Trail & Ultra Forum]" <[hidden email]>
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2011 18:10:13 -0800 (PST)
To: Tom7<[hidden email]>
Subject: Re: Salomon XT Advanced Skin 5 S-Lab Hydration Pack

nice pick let me know how it is

http://nj-trail-ultra-forum.4246737.n2.nabble.com/Salomon-XT-Advanced-Skin-5-S-Lab-Hydration-Pack-tp6083336p6087100.html

Re: Salomon XT Advanced Skin 5 S-Lab Hydration Pack

RPMcMurphy(Rob)
Tom7 wrote
it just looks too "fancy".
It was developed based on European design, where people need walking poles to run....That explains it, fancy pants...

Re: Salomon XT Advanced Skin 5 S-Lab Hydration Pack

Tom7
You mean you didn't use poles for your canal towpath run at the weekend?

I reckon you'll pick up a set for those Colorado trails! Believe me - they're priceless on tough trails. Unfortunately Rick bans me from using them in his races.

Re: Salomon XT Advanced Skin 5 S-Lab Hydration Pack

RPMcMurphy(Rob)
No room for poles. Since I had to support myself, and didn't have an aid station every two miles, I had to fill my pack with only necessities. ;)

Re: Salomon XT Advanced Skin 5 S-Lab Hydration Pack

ghost
they do sell matching shoes however.....

Re: Salomon XT Advanced Skin 5 S-Lab Hydration Pack

Tom7
decided I want one

Re: Salomon XT Advanced Skin 5 S-Lab Hydration Pack

Steve
Couple issues from the 50mi race test.
Overall, great fit / feel. No chafe. No hot spots. Great function too. Super easy to re-fill at aid etc.

One bungie at the bottle pack pocket broke during the race. Simply teared away.
The other bottle back got a small hole from the sharp corner of a GU pack. To me that means the nylon is not as strong as it should be. I am writing salomon about it and will let you know what they do...

Other than that - a super pack

Re: Salomon XT Advanced Skin 5 S-Lab Hydration Pack

RPMcMurphy(Rob)
im still up in the air on mine...I need to get some more miles in with it.

Re: Salomon XT Advanced Skin 5 S-Lab Hydration Pack

SibleyCA

Re: Salomon XT Advanced Skin 5 S-Lab Hydration Pack

RPMcMurphy(Rob)
Unless you're an elf or weigh less than 100 lbs. That might be too small.

On Apr 22, 2011, at 10:51 AM, "SibleyCA [via NJ Trail & Ultra Forum]" <[hidden email]> wrote:

Finally one on EBay (XS/S):
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110677968028&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT

http://nj-trail-ultra-forum.4246737.n2.nabble.com/Salomon-XT-Advanced-Skin-5-S-Lab-Hydration-Pack-tp6083336p6297512.html
To unsubscribe from Salomon XT Advanced Skin 5 S-Lab Hydration Pack, click here.

Re: Salomon XT Advanced Skin 5 S-Lab Hydration Pack

SibleyCA
Think there's only two sizes (X/S & M/L), smaller size likely for women.

Re: Salomon XT Advanced Skin 5 S-Lab Hydration Pack

RPMcMurphy(Rob)
Just to update this. I've switched to wearing this one here in Boulder. Mostly, because it seems to be the envy of every trail runner in passing. So much that I had a runner from behind, sprint to catch me, stop in his tracks yesterday to ask to try it on.

That's actually a true story, but in seriousness, I'm finding this thing is growing on me, and I'm liking it a lot more now, then when I first got it. It definitely fits a lot better in back than the nathan. I'm still going to make a modification to the front to get rid of those little shitty snaps with 1 'normal' strap.  And, I'm actually thinking about getting these collapsible running poles like you fancy european boys have for when I'm running up summits, so the holder system is becoming more attractive as well. (i'm looking at these: http://www.rei.com/product/813391/black-diamond-ultra-distance-z-pole-trekking-poles-pair , I just don't know how to properly size them yet)

Re: Salomon XT Advanced Skin 5 S-Lab Hydration Pack

I saw those poles Rob, they look pretty sweet.  Too bad they weren't out when I was shopping for mine last year.

No expert, but I believe the rule of thumb is that your elbow should form a 90 degree angle when you are holding the poles on level ground.

Re: Salomon XT Advanced Skin 5 S-Lab Hydration Pack

Sebounet
Yes - I read great reviews on these. In am on the market for new poles and I think I will get them. The only issue is that their length is not adjustable.
They look so nice though...

Sent from my iPhone

http://nj-trail-ultra-forum.4246737.n2.nabble.com/Salomon-XT-Advanced-Skin-5-S-Lab-Hydration-Pack-tp6083336p6446691.html

Re: Salomon XT Advanced Skin 5 S-Lab Hydration Pack

RPMcMurphy(Rob)
having played with them a bit at the store, I'd say spring for the carbon ones over the aluminum. The weight difference is significant.
12