Ramapo Reservation

JohnnyDePaola
Hi Guys! Just wondering if anyone has been out to the reservation this weekend? Considering a Sunday run, but would like to know what I'm dealing with before I head over.

Thanks!

Re: Ramapo Reservation

Steve
Hey Potatoes! Haven't been up there all winter but, trails were a slow go today. Post holing every 4 or 5 steps with it getting worse as the day warmed up. Don't expect to break any speed records. It's a food workout nonetheless. Have fun

Re: Ramapo Reservation

casual rick
Johnny Potatoes, what's up? I did Ramapo last weekend with Tommy and it was tough. A grueling 13 mile march on a foot of snow, plunging through with every third step. We finishing at 3h45m. It won't be an easy stroll.

Did 22 miles today along Seven Lakes Drive in Harriman. Big hills, lakes, trees, great weather. Plenty of shoulder and lots of soft unpaved sections. Awesome run.

Re: Ramapo Reservation

JohnnyDePaola
Ending up bailing on Ramapo and sticking to the roads, Seven Lakes drive is a great option for next time.

Hoping to check out the trails one night this week, the lower trails may not be as bad as the upper trails, unfortunately they're flat and you can't do more then 3 or 4 miles down there.

Thanks guys!

Re: Ramapo Reservation

Tommy
Rick is right about Ramapo, but it will probably be much improved by next weekend since we have a week of 50s with for the next week.  To give you a comparison, we did 22.6 miles in Harriman in the time it took us to do 13.6 in Ramapo and we were running as fast as we could in Ramapo (which at times was more trudging and cursing than actual running).  I am going to head up to the Fairgrounds next weekend as it looks like it may be pretty clear by then judging from RD Rick's pictures form this weekend.  I want to get some nice flat straight non-road running in to prepare for UltraFest on the 22nd.

Re: Ramapo Reservation

JohnnyDePaola
Maybe I'll make a point to get out to Ramapo this weekend to see how much this heat wave has done to clear out the trails.

Which route did you guys take for your 13.6?

Re: Ramapo Reservation

Tommy
Out Silver to Orange (towards Yaw Paw), right onto Red/Silver (where you normally turn left and go up hill on Orange towards Yaw Paw), left onto Blue (construction road along Bear Swamp Lake), right onto Cannonball, all the way down to Skyline (we followed Cannonball across the road to White/Red to avoid the cliffs on Yellow with the ice).  From there go down the road about 50 feet and take a left into the woods again on White to a left onto Yellow, Yellow to Yellow/Silver all the way back to the reservoir and Silver all the way home.

Re: Ramapo Reservation

JohnnyDePaola
Thanks, I'll probably start off the other direction, Green with either a left onto Blue/White or take it all the was to Bear Swamp. If I make it out there I'll be sure to come back and report.

Thanks again Tommy.

Re: Ramapo Reservation

Tommy
Green will be very wet.  That is the wet section even in the summer and with all the snow melt you will be running in a river as you come down to the woods road after the first big climb up on Green.

Let me know what day you will be going and I might meet up with you.  I have to see what else is going on this weekend.  I definitely want to get up to the Fairgrounds at some point to run that course as well.

Re: Ramapo Reservation

JohnnyDePaola
Hey all, just wanted to post a quick update.

I went out to the reservation on Sunday just to check out the conditions, only covering about 4 miles. I ran up green to Hawk Rock and checked out the lowest orange trail along the river.

The entrance to green was a mud pit that had to be picked around, once I was I started up the hill the course stayed dry until I turned back (at the Hawk Rock lookout). I hope to check out some more of green later this week, but am sure the rest of the trail is a total mess, as Tommy said earlier, coming down green is probably nothing more than a river.

The lower orange trail wasn't bad at all, a few slow sections, especially near the river but the rest was enjoyable. It's a short loop but much faster than running in the upper regions of Ramapo.

I wasn't confident that I'd be able to log any quality miles on green so I turned back. Orange was fun; flat, fast and relatively dry, but for me, it's not worth more than a 10 minute drive. Personally, I don't think I'd take a trip to the reservation if I didn't live so close.