October 27th 5K and 10K

Liam Boyle
Come "Run for the Kids" at Camp Speers-Eljabar's Annual 5K and 10K Trail Runs Sunday, October 27th.  100% of the proceeds will go toward our camp's fund to provide kids with a summer sleepaway camp experience who could not ordinarily afford to attend.

Enjoy our wooded cross-country ATF-certified Trail 5K course which circles our 42-acre sparkling glacial lake or our "sorta -tough" trail 10K course around our beautiful 1,100 wooded acres !

Now, the Trail 5K  course is suitable for just about anyone who likes a scenic and wooded, mostly-trail, mostly unpaved, graded course. You still have to watch for the rocks, mud, sticks and roots of course !!   There will be one water stop at the approximate halfway point. See our 5K course map and elevation profile. Not too tough or hilly, and a great time. Suitable for all ages (for those who can run a 5K !) although an adult should accompany those under 12.

If our 5K is just "not enough" for you and you like a tougher challenge, come try our brand-new Trail 10K course !  Personally established by a trail runner and camp alum, the course consists of a combination of wooded single-track, graded cross-country ski trails, unpaved roads, and trails around our beautiful camp cabins and waterfronts, and a couple of tougher surprises - like our rarely-used "Northern Crossings" trail, which is the roughest part of our property - our ecologically-protected glacial bog, where you will run on boardwalk past endangered plants that eat insects - a run down our own "cardiac hill" (instead of up - whew !) - and a nasty little surprise at the very end of the race at the famous "RUT" to make sure you don't finish with anything left in the tank!  Now, the 10K course is doable by most trail runners, and has the usual rocks (sometimes a lot of them), sticks, roots, mud (only a couple places), fallen leaves, boardwalks, and uneven terrain that nature offers to us in the Poconos. Parts may be easy and parts may be tough but all of it requires your careful attention !  Note that especially for the 10K, you should be a runner in excellent physical condition, and note that we may not be able to quickly get you help should you turn an ankle - !    Two water stops will be offered during the 10K at approximate distances of 2K and 4K from the start. See our 10K course map and elevation profile. Only a couple of hills and not "too" tough.  We are limiting this race to ages 12 and over only, and we recommend that due to the remoteness of parts of the trails, that anyone under 16 be accompanied by an adult during the run.

"Run-walkers" welcomed for both races, but we will be sweeping the course for safety and to remove markings after three (3) hours.

Addmission pays for race registration and entrance to our Fall Festival, which takes place directly after the 10K. Fall festival activities include a chili cookoff, and a wide variety of outdoor activities run by our experienced camp staff.

Camp Speers-Eljabar YMCA is a 501(c)3 non-profit corporation. Celebrating 65 years since being the first racially integrated Y camp in the nation, we grow independent kids.

Thank You,
Liam Boyle
Camp Speers Eljabar YMCA
143 Dingmans Ferry, PA  18328