North Face training

run kris
Training for the North Face 50k - first trail race for me. Are there any good trails to train on in central or north jersey to use for training purposes (combination of terrain difficulty and hills)? I've been running at Watchung - any sense of how that compares the what I'll face at bear mountain?

Thank you
PJ

Re: North Face training

PJ
I'd say Watchung is similar terrain (a lot of rocky single track). But the hills at Bear are much bigger/longer.

Re: North Face training

run kris
Thanks PJ

Re: North Face training

The trails in Ringwood/Ramapo Reservation/Ramapo Mountain State Forest will be a lot more similar to what you will find in Harriman.
Please be advised that there were some issues with at least one "problem bear" there over the summer (the trails were actually closed for a bit), so you may not want to run alone there.

Re: North Face training

tfarabaugh
The closest you will get to Harriman is Ramapo, and if you are going that far you might as well plan on going to Harriman, it is less than 30 minutes further.  Nothing in Watchung or Central Jersey will really get you the combination of technical, hills and overall terrain you will find in Harriman.  NFEC is a challenging course particularly as a first trail race, so on-course experience will be invaluable.

Sadly, there are no more problem bears in Ramapo (there never actually were but that is another discussion), since they killed 5 of them in the Fall.  I run there alone every week and the only problems are the occasional rude mountain biker or dogs off leash (which scare me far more than bears).

Re: North Face training

JRMotown
Norvin green state park is more like an obstacle course but should help you out !

Re: North Face training

I do agree with Tommy- your best bet is just to make the trip to Harriman itself, and gain experience on the actual trails you will be running during the race.

The mountain bikers and off-leash dogs are a problem everywhere, but that is a discussion for another thread...

Re: North Face training

Join the mpfit adventure club facebookage. There will most likely be group runs on the course as race day approaches.

Re: North Face training

Michael732
This post was updated on .
Goat,

What is the "mpfit adventure club"? Last year I was training for the Assault on Schunemunk. I thought I could train in cnj (Cheesequake Park. Some good hills, kinda technical.) Boy was I wrong. Better to run the trails you'll race on for sure.

Re: North Face training

Shamus
If you can't travel up to the course, and you don't mind doing hill repeats, you can make do with South Mountain reservation in Millburn.  Right across from the train station is the Locust Grove parking lot.  If you go right at the end of the parking lot and walk past the old pavilion, there is a fairly technical 300 foot climb there which you can do over and over again to your heart's delight.  Its steep, gnarly, about 0.5 mile and highly accessible from the car.  The more of them you do, the better your race will go at Bear.  There's even a pipe at the bottom that spits out spring water.  Just ignore the signs about the e. coli ;)

Re: North Face training

247viz
Agree with you too.. Way to go!
Be visible with  247 viz .