Nj ultra fest as first. Couple of questions

Nj ultra fest as first. Couple of questions

Mr Wonton
thinking of giving the 50k a shot. Anyone done this race before? I'm wondering if it's flat, hilly or what. Are there 2 or 3 aid stations and do you guys carry fluids while running in events? Camelbak or waist packs? Please feel free to add any info you may have. Thanks so much

Re: Nj ultra fest as first. Couple of questions

Jess
Excellent choice!!

This year's edition will be at a new venue on a new course, but expect it to be pretty dang flat.  It is a great even to choose for your first!  There will be the main aid station at the start/finish as well as at least 1 out on the course, so I doubt you'd be more than 5 miles at a time without aid.  Still, it is a good idea to carry something with you - handheld bottle, waistpack, camelbak - whatever you are most comfortable with (and it cuts down on the garbage generated from lots of little paper cups).

Feel free to ask more specific questions if you want.  Several people on the forum ran the race last year.

Re: Nj ultra fest as first. Couple of questions

AnneP
As Jessi mentioned the course is going to be pretty flat. If you go to the race map and click on terrain or topo you'll see that its pretty flat. I ran my first 50k at the Ultrafest last year and had a great experience. There will be two aid stations and the one at the start-finish will be well stocked. I always bring water (waist pack) and nutrition with me on all long runs and races and will be doing the same this year. The RDs and all the volunteers do a wonderful job taking care of the runners. I highly recommend this race for a first 50k.

Re: Nj ultra fest as first. Couple of questions

Good luck Mr Wonton!!!

NJ Trail Series puts together great events. New course for all this year. Looks pretty flat based on the topo from the website njtrailseries.com so, a great opportunity to break in to ultra distance. The out-and-back is also great as you will see runners and get encouragement every step of the way.

There are a few photos of the course posted on the NJ Trail Series Facebook page as well. Keep an eye on this page as I'm sure several folks will want to get out there for some recon runs before the event...

Re: Nj ultra fest as first. Couple of questions

Tom7
whats everyones plans for the NJ U-Fest?

Obviously Jesse is aiming to retain her crown. Anyone else attempting the big ton?

Re: Nj ultra fest as first. Couple of questions

Mr Wonton
Thanks for the responses. So a waist pack with 2 10 ounce bottles should be enough to last between aid stations? I'd rather that than a 100 ounce camel bak.

Re: Nj ultra fest as first. Couple of questions

Jess
Yep, 20oz should be plenty to get you around the course, especially since the weather will likely be chilly.  In addition to the full aid stations, I think there may also be a water-only stop.  So I'd guess you never go more than 3-4 miles without a chance to get water.

Re: Nj ultra fest as first. Couple of questions

Tom7 wrote
whats everyones plans for the NJ U-Fest?
I really wanted to do the 50k, but I just found out that there is a wedding I have to go to in Florida that weekend.  It's a bummer.  I think I might give a go at the Muddy Marathon though.

Did you get anymore information, when you might come back this year?

Re: Nj ultra fest as first. Couple of questions

Tom7
You always had a problem with your priority setting.

Will be back Q3 or Q4 (has to be a full year after leaving my old company - contract issues)
Therefore gonna try to make the epic  mountain madness. The battle between you guys makes it very interesting.

Sent from my iPhone

On 25 Jan 2012, at 10:52, "RNR [via NJ Trail & Ultra Forum]" <[hidden email]> wrote:

Tom7 wrote
whats everyones plans for the NJ U-Fest?
I really wanted to do the 50k, but I just found out that there is a wedding I have to go to in Florida that weekend.  It's a bummer.  I think I might give a go at the Muddy Marathon though.

Did you get anymore information, when you might come back this year?

http://nj-trail-ultra-forum.4246737.n2.nabble.com/Nj-ultra-fest-as-first-Couple-of-questions-tp7206115p7222732.html

Re: Nj ultra fest as first. Couple of questions

RPMcMurphy(Rob)
Tom! I'd love to beat you straight up as well!

-Rob