Night time Trail Running Alone in the Dark

Night time Trail Running Alone in the Dark

Yosef
Hi Everyone,

I'm new to this. This may be a silly question but do any of you run at night alone on trails in NJ? Is it safe? Any tips?

Thanks!

-Yosef

Re: Night time Trail Running Alone in the Dark

Tommy
It is safe as far as crime goes and the bears will probably leave you alone!  Just make sure you have a good strong headlamp and a cell phone and make sure the park you are running in is open after dusk.  Many are closed at night and you could theoretically get ticketed (never heard of it happening, but you never know).

The Bear Mountain 50 starts at 5 am this weekend so a whole mess of us will be running in the dark!

Re: Night time Trail Running Alone in the Dark

bhousel
Hah, I was just talking to a Union County police officer about this last night and he said not to risk it.

It's probably safe most of the time, but I'd still prefer to go with someone.

Sent from my iPhone

On Apr 28, 2014, at 3:54 PM, "Yosef [via NJ Trail & Ultra Forum]" <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to this. This may be a silly question but do any of you run at night alone on trails in NJ? Is it safe? Any tips?

Thanks!

-Yosef

http://nj-trail-ultra-forum.4246737.n2.nabble.com/Night-time-Trail-Running-Alone-in-the-Dark-tp7579413.html

Re: Night time Trail Running Alone in the Dark

Always carry extra batteries for your headlamp.

Re: Night time Trail Running Alone in the Dark

Crazy Dan
And let someone know exactly which trails you expect to run.

Re: Night time Trail Running Alone in the Dark

Second that one.

Re: Night time Trail Running Alone in the Dark

jbyram2
Carry an extra headlamp, so you can see while replacing the batteries in the other one.