New trail races for newer runners?

NJ Trail Series
This is a separate topic but also geared towards all the lurkers and newbies.

Do you want a trail race built for you?  What would you want it to be like?  Distance?  Terrain?

I am looking at doing another set of 5K, 10K, 5M, 10M trail races.  Would these appeal to anyone.  Maybe the same people that are asking for a 50 Miler, maybe not.

Thanks for the input.

Rick

Re: New trail races for newer runners?

Jules "silentstorm" Moore
Sounds interesting i wouldn't be opposed to doing a 10miler

Re: New trail races for newer runners?

I would be in.  Been trying to get the girlfriend to do a trail race, but believe it or not, she doesn't find running up and down a ski slope in July as interesting as me...go figure.

Re: New trail races for newer runners?

gohmdoree
Would depend on location for me on day for me.  Have yet to run on a proper trail.  Did a 5K in Van Cortlandt Park last night.

First half marathon for me is this Saturday, and would be the longest distance I have run to date, but willing to try anything.

Re: New trail races for newer runners?

One of the few trail races I've done were the winter trail series and my wife and I loved them! I like the 5 mile distance. (I'm a newbie to trail running).

Planning any winter trail races? my wife and I would really like to plan a few trail races for the 'off season' (shes too worried to twist and ankle, etc. during triathlon season)
dp

Re: New trail races for newer runners?

dp
I'd love some 5M and 10M events, too. I've been trail running solo for years, but just short distances in my little local woods. I'm working on getting out for longer runs with people and experiencing new trails.

I have the Mahlon Mayhem 25K on my schedule, but I'm thinking of trying to join the one-lap group run Sunday and maybe volunteering at an aid station on race day.

Re: New trail races for newer runners?

I am in discussion with Morris County to use Schooley's Mountain for the Fall Series, then Lewis Morris again for the Winter Series.

So get ready to Go Back to Schooley's on Sept 25.  Ideally that will be the first of three or four races at Schooley's Mountain.  I plan to have anywhere from a 5K to 13.1 Miler over the series.  Probably at least two distances each race (such as 5K/10K or 5M/10) to give people some options.

As soon as I get the permit squared away I'll release the website, registration info, etc.

Rick

Re: New trail races for newer runners?

Rick,

I don't know what it would involve, but have you ever thought about doing this as a "true" series, where points would be awarded based on finishing places, and then the runner with the most points at the end of the series would be the overall winner?

Re: New trail races for newer runners?

NJ Trail Series
Short answer, yes.

Longer answer; though I have thought about it I can not see the benefit.  How many people are going to sign up for more races for some theoretical prize?  In your simplistic example you counted points based on finishing times, making me think the fastest is going to win the series.  Therefore the only benefit to adding a series prize is for the winners of the races (and they got prizes at each individual race too).

What is the incentive for the middle of the packer or back of the packer to enter the series that they have no chance in winning?

If you can come up with a solution let me know.  I'd love to get people to sign up for multiple races.

NJ Trail Series has in the past decided to spend more money on everyone by supplying post race food you actually want to eat, beverages you actually want to drink and try to create a sociable feeling so people will spend a few minutes after the race talking with each other.  Our motto is "NJ Trail Series makes running fun".  We want everyone to have a good time from the winner to the last person across the line.

We are always open to suggestions though.  I have gone back and forth with a lot of ideas for series.  We can talk Sunday if you want.

Rick