New Trail Runners?

12

New Trail Runners?

BrianDickens
How approachable are the group runs you guys do to people new to trail running. I'm not fast by any stretch. I manage right around 10 minute miles on the road. I don't know how long the trails are that you run. I think I saw someone say Watchung is a 10 mile run?

Anyway, what do you recommend for someone who very much wants to get into trail running? Just show up and see if I can keep up with the group?

--brian

Re: New Trail Runners?

Mountain Goat
Just show up & have fun. We make sure everyone stays together & no one gets left behind. Runners of all paces are welcome. The loop in watchung is about 10 miles but does have cut off to go shorter if needed.

Re: New Trail Runners?

Hey Brian,

Len is definitely right, just come out and have a good time.  You should come and check out this week's run at Watchung Reservation.

Re: New Trail Runners?

I must confess, I'm one of the biggest lurkers here, and the biggest weenie here because I'm a little intimidated to come out on a run because I'm a newbie trail runner and pretty slow (10:30 pace for me, 9:15 road half-marathon PR).   So far I've seen a few slower newbies post...perhaps if we all grew a pair one weekend. haha

Re: New Trail Runners?

Krissy4
Hey Brian,
I am pretty new to this group, I have done three runs so far.  It is awesome!  You have to go for it!  I can definitely say that I am the slowest runner out there in our group, but everyone is so supportive, it makes you want to keep going! It is a great experience and a great workout.  I think you should totally got for it!!
Krissy

Re: New Trail Runners?

Krissy4
woopss....you should totally GO for it!!!

Re: New Trail Runners?

gohmdoree
This is an encouraging thread.  Got to get out there, hopefully soon.  Sounds like a lot of fun.

Re: New Trail Runners?

New Trail Runners,

Come out its a fun time.  There is something to look forward to sunday mornings.

Re: New Trail Runners?

JRMotown
I've only been twice but it's been a blast. The trails are great, and the people I have met so far (Tom, Chris) great to run with.

Re: New Trail Runners?

Tom7
Jason - shame we can't keep up with you.

Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

From: "JRMotown [via NJ Trail & Ultra Forum]" <[hidden email]>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2010 05:27:04 -0700 (PDT)
To: Tom7<[hidden email]>
Subject: Re: New Trail Runners?

I've only been twice but it's been a blast. The trails are great, and the people I have met so far (Tom, Chris) great to run with.

View message @ http://nj-trail-ultra-forum.4246737.n2.nabble.com/New-Trail-Runners-tp4977374p5325105.html

Re: New Trail Runners?

gohmdoree
I will definitely make it a point to head on out.  I have a half planned this weekend, but possibly the weekend after.  Also signed up for the Brooklyn 10 mile and the Bronx half next month.  Will squeeze in between.

Are there any people who come out from NYC?  Or recommend ways to get out via PT?  I have a car at my folks in NJ, so worst case I can go out to get it or ask my little bro to give me a ride.

Re: New Trail Runners?

Krissy4
Hey Everyone!!  It has been forever since I have been out for a trail run, but definitely want to get back out there soon!  Which half in ny are you doing this weekend?  The Queens half??

Re: New Trail Runners?

gohmdoree
I'll be doing the Queens half on Sat.  My first race over 10k.  Have some knee issues from a long run on Tuesday, but getting better.

Re: New Trail Runners?

Krissy4
Nice! I am doing the Queens half too!  Good luck and enjoy, so far the NYRR half marathon series have been a lot of fun!  Lots of great energy! I signed up for the Bronx too and have to check the site to see if the Staten Island is up yet...Sorry about the knees!

Re: New Trail Runners?

gohmdoree
Sounds good.  I just decided to dive in.  Signed up for the Bronx half as well, and the 3 marathon tune-ups races in August.  Not scheduled to run the marathon, but thought it'd be fun to try and hit 20 miles.  Considering the Staten Island one as well.  Also doing the Jack Rabbit Brooklyn 10 in August.  Gosh, just realized its a full August for me.

Knee is okay.  No choice.

Re: New Trail Runners?

Tom7
Great to see all the "newbie" activity on the board. And welcome back Krissy!! Hope to see you on the trails soon.

I'm out for a few weeks now but back mid August.

Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

From: "gohmdoree [via NJ Trail & Ultra Forum]" <[hidden email]>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2010 11:52:27 -0700 (PDT)
To: Tom7<[hidden email]>

Sounds good.  I just decided to dive in.  Signed up for the Bronx half as well, and the 3 marathon tune-ups races in August.  Not scheduled to run the marathon, but thought it'd be fun to try and hit 20 miles.  Considering the Staten Island one as well.  Also doing the Jack Rabbit Brooklyn 10 in August.  Gosh, just realized its a full August for me.

Knee is okay.  No choice.

View message @ http://nj-trail-ultra-forum.4246737.n2.nabble.com/New-Trail-Runners-tp4977374p5326724.html

Re: New Trail Runners?

Krissy4
It does sound like you have quite a few events coming up...that is great!

Re: New Trail Runners?

It's all the shortcuts I take

Tom7 wrote
Jason - shame we can't keep up with you.

Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

I've only been twice but it's been a blast. The trails are great, and the
people I have met so far (Tom, Chris) great to run with.

Re: New Trail Runners?

Krissy4
I know, it's been a while and I definitely want to get out there again soon!  I can't wait for all of the updates on your races...

Re: New Trail Runners?

Tom7
I won all of them.

Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

From: "Krissy4 [via NJ Trail & Ultra Forum]" <[hidden email]>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2010 14:36:19 -0700 (PDT)
To: Tom7<[hidden email]>

I know, it's been a while and I definitely want to get out there again soon!  I can't wait for all of the updates on your races...

View message @ http://nj-trail-ultra-forum.4246737.n2.nabble.com/New-Trail-Runners-tp4977374p5327392.html

12