New Trail Runner Here. Hello Everyone.

James Andrew
Hello everyone. I'm new here and new to trail running.

I'm 37 years old. I've been hiking for years, and only recently begun to run on the road. Three weeks ago I hadn't run over a mile for many years. Now, last week I ran 57 miles (8 days actually, Sunday to Sunday), including a little over ten on trails.

My two favorite places so far are :

1. Pinwheel Vista :

http://alltrails.com/trail/us/new-jersey/stairway-to-heaven-loop

This is a short section of the AT, just past Vernon, NJ on Rt 94. It's only a little over a mile up to a beatiful overlook, but its about 850 feet of elevation. It takes about 35 to 40 minutes to hike up at a decent pace. A little over two weeks ago, I decided to try and run up. I made it up in 23:30 and thought it was one of the most intense physical experiences I've ever had. Now, two weeks later, on the heels of a 50+ mile week of road running, I attacked it again and made it up in 20:30. Now I have heard tell that there is a guy who runs the trail all the time on the weekends and that he runs it three times in a row! I cannot imagine that at this point, but I'm looking forward to getting there. Have any of you run this trail?

2. Terrace Pond Loop :

http://www.nynjtc.org/hike/terrace-pond-loop-terrace-pond-red-trail-clinton-road

This is a particulaly beautiful trail with a ton of variety, including a semi-secluded lake and about 500 feet of vertical scrambling interspersed with very runnable terrain. This past Saturday, I went up there and ran the loop. When I got back to my car, I was definitely worked, but I just had to turn around and run the whole thing again! This second run taught me so much about trail running. The first time, I stopped and walked many of the steeps, but this second time I felt far better and learned how to 'drop a gear' and just kept running up the steeps. I realized that I could keep just below my lactic threshold and then keep running once it levels out, and that my strength would return. I can't wait to get back up there again.

I'd love to meet some people to run with. First, I've got to get my distances up before I have a hope of hanging with most of you!

Re: New Trail Runner Here. Hello Everyone.

CWBern
I am relatively new to trails (and this forum) as well.  But I live in the area you mention and Terrace Pond Loop has been a regular for me since I started moving off the roads.

I am usually a solo runner, as I did not know many other trail runners in the specific area.  But I would also welcome joining people especially on those trails.

Re: New Trail Runner Here. Hello Everyone.

James Andrew
I would suggest a run this weekend, but somehow I got cellulitis on the lower part of my hamstring. Its no fun, and I'm not supposed to run until it gets better. But as soon as it does, I'd be down for a lap or three around Terrance Pond!

Re: New Trail Runner Here. Hello Everyone.

AnneP
James - I wouldn't worry about getting your distances up before running with this group. There is a wide range of distances and paces that people run. And they wait up for slow pokes like me! I'm not sure I've ever had a 58 mile week that didn't also include a 50km race in it and I run with these folks!

Re: New Trail Runner Here. Hello Everyone.

James Andrew
Thanks Anne. I would be trying to get out there with this group right now if I weren't injured. Hope to be fully operational by next week.