New To Group--So how does this work?

jamiek
This post was updated on .
I'm new to running seriously (have done it off and on), and new to trail running. I just did my first race at Wanderlust, a easy-going 5K, and it was a blast! However, trail running, to me, is so much cooler.

I've done the Zombies obstacle race around 2 years ago in Maryland before. I use to think, I only wanted to do obstacles races. I didn't realize there were races for trail running as well! I'm a big outdoors girl so this seems like a perfect fit!

I just joined the HASHaThon on Nov 1st thanks to a friend's recommendation, and randomly found thanks to Eventbrite the North Face Endurance Challenge--which I'm doing with a friend on May 1st, 10K, as well as camping it out. So excited!

I've also been trying to find some running groups, especially trail running, to not only meet some people (I have only one friend interested in running, and she lives in Maryland, sadface), and to learn what the hell I'm doing.

Incidentally, because I'm still learning, just hurt my hip a tad trying to go too many miles too quickly (I tried not to, I really did...). Seeing a PT tomorrow, hope to be back to running in a week or two. I've also managed to stupidly hurt my Achilles a few years ago (also right leg). Again, mostly cause up until now I've never really tried to learn what I was doing, just kinda went out a ran around. ^__^()

Re: New To Group--So how does this work?

JRMotown
The hashathon comes highly recommended to me! Going to shoot for it after this year's overdoing it and busting my knee up a bit. Probably getting into some trail runs at south mountain soon to ease back in. It's a great urbanish 10 miler in Millburn, either saturday or sunday around 9am there's usually a few people that meet up to run it. I'm thinking maybe this sunday morning.

Re: New To Group--So how does this work?

Look into getting a quality pair of trail running shoes- you'll definitely want the extra ruggedness of the tread, especially when running in wet conditions, and the protection for your toes. Make sure the shoes you're buying have a rock plate; although not essential, it will help while you transition to running on trails.
There are hundreds of shoes to choose from, everything from minimal to max cushioned, depending on your preference/running style.
I'm a big fan of Merrell, others will probably chime in with their recommendations.

South Mountain is a nice place to start trail running, as there's a good mix of technical/non-technical sections. The orange trail there is my favorite.

I believe the North Face Challenge is at Harriman. After you do some easier trail runs, i highly recommend doing some training runs at Harriman before the race. Some of the terrain there is punishing, and completely unforgiving, so it would be wise to be at least be a little familiar with it before the race.

Good luck, and have fun!

Re: New To Group--So how does this work?

Shamus Babcock
The Hasha thon is Awesome!!

There is a 7.77 mile race in Ringwood, NJ tomorrow as well as a 31!

Do you like booze??

Re: New To Group--So how does this work?

jamiek
Yup! The race itself will be at Bear Mountain. It's an 1 45 min from me, so I'm not sure if I can make it up there before the race to try out the trails. I guess I could make a trip up, maybe bribe someone to join me.

I def need a pair of nice shoes. After I try some easy trail runs around me consistently I'll probably get some. At least there is plenty of time before the race! A lot of people suggest Merrell, actually.

Thank you so much!

Re: New To Group--So how does this work?

jamiek
Oh, that's cool! There seems to be a good amount of races out there. What is that one called?

Ha, well, yes...doesn't (almost) everyone?

Re: New To Group--So how does this work?

jamiek
Nice! I just saw a PT for my hip yesterday and I am working on getting back to it. He did say I could walk, and to just stop if it starts hurting, so I might try a little walking to get this show on the road.

Re: New To Group--So how does this work?

tfarabaugh
Ramapo Reservation is a bit closer than Harriman and has similar terrain and technical conditions, so you should check that out.  South Mountain and Watchung are convenient but don't really mimic the conditions of North Face or Mountain Madness (tomorrow's race in Ramapo Reservation) so it is worth investing the time to gain some good course experience.  Come Spring I move all my runs to Harriman in preparation for the 50 miler.

Shoes are very personal, I swear by the Saucony Peregrines myself. 4mm drop, not minimal, but a lot more minimal than maximal and a full rock plate.  Merrell's are generally minimalist shows so just take time to get used to them, they need a long adjustment period to avoid injury.  It is worth paying the $20-$25 for a Road Runner Sports VIP membership.  You can try any shoes for 90 days and return them in any condition if you don't like them.  I allows you to actually run in them a few times to determine if they suit you.  Plus you get 105 off with the membership so it quickly pays for itself.

Re: New To Group--So how does this work?

jamiek

Oh, great advice! I love Ramapo, I've been there once. I'd try that. And there is actually a Road Runner really close to me. I love the idea of being able to run in the shoes! I find I buy shoes but I can be kinda picky, and it def lowers my motivation when I have a pair that don't feel as good.

I will likely get that membership, it sounds worth it.

- Sent via my Moto X phone

On Sep 25, 2015 11:02 AM, "tfarabaugh [via NJ Trail & Ultra Forum]" <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

http://nj-trail-ultra-forum.4246737.n2.nabble.com/New-To-Group-So-how-does-this-work-tp7580075p7580084.html
To unsubscribe from New To Group--So how does this work?, click here.

Re: New To Group--So how does this work?

The hippity hip is always elusive- they make you do those piquen poses which feel like the leg is coming out of its socket but somehow work!  Tomorrow’s the Mountain Madness 50k and 25k and 7 miler which uses all the Ringwood trails. Just working a Skyline Drive aid station to at least feel the whole trail running vibe to get excited about. Have you hashed before? There's a couple of groups around here that meet on a regular basis. Some of them even meet up at races too.

Re: New To Group--So how does this work?

I definitely agree with the suggestion to run at Ramapo if you can't make it up to Harriman when you're ready to get familiar with the type of terrain you'll be running during the North Face.

Another suggestion is to invest in a high quality foam roller if you don't already own one. Invaluable IMO for helping your muscles recover, especially after longer runs.