Mountain Bikes at South Mountain

Michael K7
Are mountain bikes still prohibited at SM? The last three times i've been there, i've seen people riding bikes, all on the Turtleback trail, and today i also passed someone on the Elmdale Trail.

Alos, does anyone know what race was going on today at SM?

Re: Mountain Bikes at South Mountain

bhousel
I always see bikes there too, but I don’t think they are actually allowed.

Today was the Mayapple trail runs in South Mountain..
Also tomorrow is the Spring Series #2 in Watchung Reservation.

On May 31, 2014, at 4:35 PM, Michael K7 [via NJ Trail & Ultra Forum] <[hidden email]> wrote:

Are mountain bikes still prohibited at SM? The last three times i've been there, i've seen people riding bikes, all on the Turtleback trail, and today i also passed someone on the Elmdale Trail.

Alos, does anyone know what race was going on today at SM?

http://nj-trail-ultra-forum.4246737.n2.nabble.com/Mountain-Bikes-at-South-Mountain-tp7579528.html

Re: Mountain Bikes at South Mountain

Tommy
They are prohibited at South Mountain (and most of Ramapo/Ringwood as well) but that does not stop people from doing it anyway.  I find that for the most part the mountain bikers are pretty courteous so they don't bother me too much.  Yes, technically it is illegal, but so is speeding and we all do it all the time.  I find the people with their dog off leash much more annoying (that is why I no longer run at South Mountain - once you get a mile away from the parking lot of Ramapo you never see anyone with a dog).

Re: Mountain Bikes at South Mountain

Michael K7
Thanks for the replies.
I agree that the unleashed dogs are more annoying, my concern with the bikes is that they damage the trails, which is why i thought they were prohibited.

Good luck to anyone running at Wachtung tomorrow!