Moma

Jules "silentstorm" Moore
Congrats to everyone that practicpated in MOMA this year.  I would like to hear any stories about the event unfortunaltly i couldn't race this year due to school work but maybe next year.

Congrats to Tom and Chris for finsihing job well done guys.

I heard Chris let Tom win is that true?

Re: Moma

Daddyrox
Beautiful fall day for running.  Great course.  Volunteers were very, very helpful - thank you volunteers!!  Event was excellent.  Very cool shirts.  And the beer was good too!  Can't ask for more.  The Pig-something IPA (or something-Pig) was really good - anyone remember the name of that?

Only problem I had was with the markers.  Too bad rain this week prevented flour from being put out.  At one point I followed an orange blaze marker down the wrong trail which cost me about a mile.  When I backtracked (up hill, of course) I found a marker on the trail (the one I followed) that had been ripped off of the course and put on the trail.

I did the 25k, which was tough enough.  To the 50k-ers, you're nuts!  Hats off to EVERYONE who ran no matter how you finished!

Thank you NJ Trail Series.
Chris

Re: Moma

MOMA didn't disappoint, and it lived up to its tough reputation.  It was a difficult race with very technical terrain, some steep climbs, and one section of trail where the trail markers seemed to disappear. But that is why we do these types of races, for the challenges.

The real star of the day was Sean, who set a PR (a quite ridiculous feat at this race), and managed to knock an hour off his time from last year.  I am also indebted to him, because he led the way on a tricky section of trail right before aid station one, where a large number of runners were getting lost.

While I didn't feel like I was on my "A" game yesterday, I was very happy with my race, managing to run a 7:25.  I was able to hold off Tom right until mile 27 (he had some navigation problems), where he passed me in Tom fashion with a smile and a dash down the trail, which I'm pretty sure was a mental tactic to make sure I didn't try to keep up with him (a move I affectionately refer to as the "soul crusher").

As usual, the volunteers were great! It was good to see AJ at AS5, and he definitely managed to keep the energy going. And Zsuzsanna at AS4/6 who made sure I was eating and drinking enough.

The after parties are always fun getting to talk about the race and meeting new runners (and don't forget the beer).

Keep up the good work Rick and Jenn! And congrats to all the runners!

Re: Moma

Tom7
"with a smile and a dash down the trail"

The smile was because I was laughing at your misfortune. Coming round the corner to see you flat on your ass after taking a tumble was hilarious. I suppose checking you were OK would have been a more appropriate response. Naa!

The dash down the trail was certainly designed to crush your soul and convince you not to try overtaking me again. Its a mental game at that stage and I couldn't bear the thought of you beating me! I also knew Sean was ahead and wanted to try and catch him, which I only just managed to do a mile or so before the finish line.

MoMa is a top banana of a race. Luvit.

Re: Moma

What a blow..Round two watchung winter ultra.  Will Chris beat Tom? Till then...

Re: Moma

Tom7
This rivalry is stressful!

Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

From: "Jules \"silentstorm\" Moore [via NJ Trail & Ultra Forum]" <[hidden email]>
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2010 11:13:02 -0700 (PDT)
To: Tom7<[hidden email]>
Subject: Re: Moma

What a blow..Round two watchung winter ultra.  Will Chris beat Tom? Till then...
Moore

View message @ http://nj-trail-ultra-forum.4246737.n2.nabble.com/Moma-tp5643507p5644822.html

Re: Moma

I did the 25k and had a blast! Embarrassingly slow, but wasn't DFL!

I brought my buddy who has never run a trail in his life, but just did Chicago 26.2 in 2:45 the weekend before, and while he was planning on sticking with me, after about mile 3 we ended up splitting up, he ended up accidentally following the 50k course and clocked in ~26miles in ~5:30!

Congrats to all who PRed and had a great race!!

Re: Moma

gohmdoree
This was my first race of this kind.  First time at the distance (25K), and first time being on my feet for so long (4:23:15).

I have to work on walking up the inclines.  I was passed almost every time.  After about 3.5 hours in, I just lost steam.  Everything just seemed impossible.  It was kind of hard finding my way at some point, and running alone for a while, I kept thinking I went the wrong way.

Didn't realize there was vandalism with the markers.  I found a lot of them on the ground.  It wasn't so bad following the treaded parts of the trail, but then I'd lose my direction.

What got me was hearing the gun shots the first time on the way back.  I thought I was so close, then the sounds went away.  Glad to have found them back.

Very achy now, but a good pain.  Can't wait for next year and hopefully, with preparation and the right training, a significant PR.

Rick, was quite a hard course, glad I got to finish.  Heard a lot of people DNF'ed.

Re: Moma

Great job Charles! Probably 80% of the people out there had most of the same feelings as you, including myself.

Rob I ran with your friend a little bit on that section of the 50k course, and I was thinking crap, either I'm going the wrong way or he is! That is  still a very good time for 26 miles on that trail.  Congrats to you too!

Re: Moma

Tom, I guess you didn't notice that I tactfully left out the part where I fell as you where coming up the trail.

Here's a pic of some of you guys from Ron:

Re: Moma

seanaes
It was really great running with you guys. Glad Chris and I didn't get lost at the shooting range (see - knowing the course helps) and were able to run for a little while out of our league (16-17th place overall after 10 miles). Was fun running & chatting with Johnny between AS4 and 5, especially after feeling so sick from gross Hammer gel after AS3. Worst part of the day had to be getting passed by Tom with a mile or two to go, him with a big smile on his face, and me with not enough in the tank to keep with him. Bombing down the last downhill at the edge of recklessness and passing a few people, (safely of course) felt great because I knew I was almost done.

I PR'd the 50k distance by 25 minutes and took 55 minutes out of my time from last year and that was sweetest of all.

The after run party was really lovely to share some beers and stories from the day. Staying until it got dark and the last runners were in.

I can't wait to come back next year.