Message to Rick

Jules "silentstorm" Moore
Rick,

Do have any plans of establishing a new race after MOMA?  I think it would be a great idea to throw in a 50 miler. It would attract runners looking to do something a little more challenging before xmas. Even if you did a fat ass run i think that would give you a good indicator if it would be worth doing the following year.

-Jules

Re: Message to Rick

NJ Trail Series
It is in the thought process.  Between my real job, my family and other random things that pop up it is not always easy to plan a race so far in advance.

It would be easier to do a 50 on a loop course than a point to point.

I'd like to use the Tourne some day.  I can find a 10K route, maybe a little longer.  That might not be bad for a 50K but doable for 50M?  Thoughts?

For a Fat Ass 50 Miler I'd want to do the AT point to point in NJ.  You'd need to coordinate cars and be able to carry all your supplies but it could be a fun day.
For a little easier terrain and logistics there is the Canal Path along the Delaware River.  You can start in New Milford go south for 17+ miles then cross the river and come back.  There is food and beer at the half way point.  You would need to do another 8 miles out and back to get to 50 though.  You could do this in the beginning, middle or end.

Another option would be the Patriot's Path.  I think you can get 50 Miles running from Morristown out to Mendham and then on the way back running out to Jockey Hollow and back to Morristown.

Any of these sound good?

Rick

Re: Message to Rick

Jules "silentstorm" Moore
Rick,

We should just quit our jobs.

Anways, all these ideas sound good espically on the AT.  I agree, it would be tough with the logictics but would be extremelly fun.  However the patriots path sounds like a better appoarch.  I don't know much about the Tourne maybe you can give me a better idea about it.

Thanks again,

Jules

Re: Message to Rick

NJ Trail Series
The Tourne is in Mountain Lakes / Boonton NJ.  It is mostly single track but also some gravel paths.  I would say no killer hills but more constant change.

To run in the late fall would be nice but there would be portions of that trail (and most trails) where the fall leaves cover the small changes in terrain.

I could run the loop with you or anyone anytime.  Put it on the calendar for next weekend if people want to try somewhere beside Watchung.  It is close enough to the Denville or Boonton train lines if others were coming from the City.

Rick

Re: Message to Rick

Tom7
Rick- Whatever you arrange - its appreciated.

Anything long I'm in for, assuming I'm around.

Cheers

Re: Message to Rick

Interesting ideas Rick.  An AT Fatass 50m would be fun, but very very challenging, and a little harder to organize, but I think it would be really popular. Tourne is good, but I am not sure it is the best place for a 50m.  I think Patriots Path is also good, especially if leaves are on the ground, but may not be as attractive to people looking for technical trails or a race with a lot of climbing.

Another idea is High Reservation by William Paterson University. Great terrain, a little bit of everything, and an out an back loop would be about 13 miles.

High_Mountain_Trail_Map.pdf

Btw -  definitely be up for a Tourne run next week

Re: Message to Rick

seanaes
AT from Delaware Water Gap to High Point is 42 miles and I think could easily add the extra miles at either end to make it an even 50

This is on my list of runs to do soon