Mahlon

Daddyrox
For anyone interested in running Mahlon on Sunday, a buddy and I are meeting at Saffin Pond (link below) 7am, then breakfast at the Jefferson Diner.  Probably 8 miles or so, casual pace.

BTW, for those in the Sparta area or North/West - in case you haven't figure this out (I may be the only one who didn't know this) - if you park at the Blue Heron Rd. park and ride off of Rt 15, you can pick up an unmarked trail which brings you across the power lines and drops you right into Mahlon.  There is a alternate way back too, which makes for a nice loop in/out of Mahlon with plenty of miles.  I have a Garmin shot of it, but it was my first time and I was, umm, exploring a lot along the way.  I'll do a clean run next week and post it.  This also works really well if you start in Mahlon - it adds a couple of extra miles past the Pine Swamp area instead of coming straight down the rail trail.

Saffin Pond...
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=&daddr=41.008063,-74.58616&hl=en&geocode=&mra=mift&mrsp=0&sz=16&sll=41.008127,-74.586031&sspn=0.00761,0.013754&ie=UTF8&ll=41.00816,-74.586031&spn=0.007546,0.013754&t=h&z=16

Chris

Re: Mahlon

bardbu
Pls let me know if you're doing a repeat run in Mahlon next week. It looks like a lot of fun. I'd be interested in trying to keep up.
Thanks

Re: Mahlon

Daddyrox
Will do.  We usually start from Saffin Pond each Sunday 7am but the next couple of weeks are a bit sketchy with holiday stuff.  I'll post something once I can commit.

Here's a Garmin shot of the run from this past Sunday...

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/57635079

Re: Mahlon

bardbu
Nice pace! I'll definitely be watching your back.
I'll stay tuned.

Re: Mahlon

bardbu wrote
Nice pace! I'll definitely be watching your back.
I'll stay tuned.
Yep, Chris is a speedster, and even more impressive is his remarkable resemblance to Kevin Bacon! You might catch up to him when he stops to give autographs.

Re: Mahlon

Daddyrox
LOL... Good memory Chris.  Don't be fooled by the pace or the footloose moves.  My resume is just a beginner hack compared to you and others up here.

For this weekend a few of us are meeting at Saffin Pond on Saturday at 7:30am.  I talked a couple of road runners from work into trying out the trails.  Probably a short (6 mile) slow run, followed by breakfast at the diner.  I could easily be talked into something longer on Sunday too at either Mahlon or Kittatinny.

Chris

Re: Mahlon

bardbu
Messed up my right knee on the nasty pavement of the Glen Ridge 8k yesterday. Going to sit this one out after all.  Mahlon looks like a great place to run, so i'm disappointed.
Have a great run, and watch out for the autograph seekers.

Re: Mahlon

Daddyrox
Bummer about your knee.  Pavement is evil.  We'll get together another time.
Chris