MT 101's

12

MT 101's

Steve
NB - MT 101's are available at DSW. Got a pair for US$65. I wanted to try on before buying. You can also get them for about $59 at running warehouse.

Gonna give them a spin and report back.

Re: MT 101's

RPMcMurphy(Rob)
Ya'll trying to be like me now huh? I can say I don't wear them all the time as they just don't have enough support for 'me', even though the heel toe drop is the same as the montrails I run in, I feel they just have more 'support'

Re: MT 101's

Tom7
I'm trying to be like you too Rob.

Got the cool Salamon SLab pack to run with later.

BTW.
To get faster you gotta push the pace out of your comfort zone. You don't have to do this for the whole run - maybe just the last mile or so. You have a great foundation of miles and can you use this as the basis for starting to build some speed.

Besides - you are not as slow as you think you are.  I've seen that you can run fast when you want/have to - remember that Winters day with me and Chris?

Re: MT 101's

RPMcMurphy(Rob)
I think of that day every damn run! haha. I've been working on shorter faster runs. I'm not much of a 'go to the track' guy, or 'drill' guy so I've just been tryin to do at least 1 or two runs a week where I push it. Even if it's on the commute home. Last tuesday I did 7:34 pace on my run home, granted it was only for a little over 2 miles.   I have a bet that I'd pay 5 friends 100$ each if I can't run 3.1 miles in sub 7:30 pace by November.

Re: MT 101's

Steve
I'm tryin' to be like Rob too!

Just the older version & without the biker background! bwahahahah!

Re: MT 101's

RPMcMurphy(Rob) wrote
 I have a bet that I'd pay 5 friends 100$ each if I can't run 3.1 miles in sub 7:30 pace by November.
That's a 23:15 5k?  As long as you do some shorter faster runs in preparation, I would be surprised if you didn't hit that.  In fact, I would bet you could go 22:30 or less.

Re: MT 101's

RPMcMurphy(Rob)
I did 7:34 pace for 2.1 miles home from work last tuesday in 86 degree's...but it was kinda downhill. Going to give it a shot today and keep going for 3.1

Re: MT 101's

RPMcMurphy(Rob)
Did the same run home in 7:27 pace today and for 2.25mi. Thought about just continuing on and getting it over with but...[insert some lame excuse here]. I think I overcooked the first mile at 7:16

Re: MT 101's

Tom7
continuous improvement!

looks like you're on a mission for speed

Re: MT 101's

RPMcMurphy(Rob)
I just don't wanna be out of 1000$.....at this point, it's 'I'm on a
mission from my wife not to loose 1000$..or else'

Re: MT 101's

Tom7
True story.

A good friend of mine went to live in the Netherlands and married a tall, blond, beautiful and most importantly, very sexually liberated Dutch girl.

She tried to teach him Dutch.
He wasn't interested in learning
She decided to offer some incentive.
Every week she would give him a Dutch language test.
If he passed - she would perform certain sexual acts that I would rather not discuss on this forum of innocents.
If he failed - he had a week of celebacy.
He is now a fluent Dutch speaker.

We all need motivation Rob!

Re: MT 101's

Steve
You might need to explain sexual liberation to Rob in a bit more detail Tom. I hear in Boulder it simply means not shaving your legs!

Re: MT 101's

Tom7
I believe in Boulder the traditional stereotypes are reversed. The men shave their legs whilst the women remain furry.

I'm not sure they have time for sex anyway. Sounds like they're running all the time.

Re: MT 101's

Despite this page being completely hijacked, here is my first run report for MT101's

I ran the NJTS 5K XC in them last night. Overall, I like them. They are very light weight but, feel sturdy enough. They are fairly flat and lend themselves to a neutral or forefoot strike. I thought this would feel contrived and require special concentration on form but, it seems to come quite naturally. The mid-sole is substantial enough to take care of the occasional heel strike with no problem. The little rock plate made the gravel sections feel fine and the traction is quite good. Toe-box is roomy but, I didn't feel like my feet were swimming around. The laces are fantastic. They have little bumps built into them so you can micro-adjust along the length of the shoe. Pretty easy on the wallet too if you are looking to try a semi-minimalist shoe.

I'm curious to try them on a longer, more technical trail run and will report back when I do.

Re: MT 101's

Sebounet
Interesting. I was on the mkt for new shoes and was debating between these ones and the Sauco Peregrine.
I went with the Peregrine because I use the Kinvara as road shoes.

I like the fact that there is a rock plate in the MT 101.  And at this price, I really have to try them out!

Thanks for your review Steve!

Sent from my iPhone

On Jun 16, 2011, at 8:02 AM, "Steve [via NJ Trail & Ultra Forum]"<[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

http://nj-trail-ultra-forum.4246737.n2.nabble.com/MT-101-s-tp6469914p6482751.html

Re: MT 101's

Sorry for hijacking Steve. I think I'm just going to create 1 thread that focuses solely on ME and just update that one with how great I am. ;)

As for the MT101's -- I like them. SURPRISINGLY the heel toe drop...isn't as flat as you think. I bet its same 'flatness' as most other shoes or within 1-2mm. It's 10mm...I have NO idea why it feels more. I mean there is definitely less all around 'support'. I still can't wear them on every run though. Laurie feels like they have absolutely no grip on them though, in the sandy/loose gravel uphills she feels she takes one step forward two back compared to other shoes.

Re: the laces. They actually sell them. I bought a new pair of montrails and the first thing I did was put those new balance laces in! WIN.

I've seen the new MT110's...the update to the 101's in person...although Tony and I don't share the same shoe size so I didn't get a chance to run in them. They look, of course..better, but I didn't get a chance to see the grip on the bottom.

All in all, if you're a 2 pair of shoe kinda runner...the MT101's are def a good shorter run choice.

Re: MT 101's

Tom7
Thought the shoes you were wearing last night looked pretty cool Steve. Forgot you were testdriving the new NB's. The price is certainly a bargain but not sure how you'll manage at Watchung in them. Let me know.

Cheers

Re: MT 101's

RPMcMurphy(Rob)
Laurie wears the 101's exclusivly, sans for when she wears the minimus. That's not saying much as she has the knees to prove it....but....I've wore mine around watchung and the rockplate is great. Hard to find a lightweight shoe with a rockplate.

Re: MT 101's

Yeah, it will be interesting. I'm pretty used to just mashing through the woods in my Salomons. We'll see. I figured for the price. I'd mix it up a bit and use them for shorter runs to try to get a bit more nimble on my feet. You know, like an overweight ballerina!

Re: MT 101's

Steve
Quick 3 miler in the reservation with the MT-101's. Rockplate works really well. Traction is a little less grippy than my Salomons but not too bad. The feel of this shoe on the trail is worth experiencing. I know its got a 10mm drop but, it feels much flatter.
12