MANDATORY Course Change for MoMa 2013

12

MANDATORY Course Change for MoMa 2013

NJ Trail Series
Due to construction on the Gasline we have to do an out and back from Camp Yaw Paw to AS4 and then back.  This does create and better AS 5 but may shorten the course a touch.  Please be familiar with the changes by race day.

Re: MANDATORY Course Change for MoMa 2013

Chris
Without the green and yellow climbs it looks like this is going to be a much faster course.

It anyone wants to use ultra-calculator.com to predict their time,  I would enter the MoMa course this year as a 3 for terrain and 5 for surface (previous years would be 4,5).

My predicted time based on last year's race: 6:36.

Link: http://ultra-calculator.com/results.php?kd=1&hour=6&min=49&e1=1.082&t1=.2&pd=1&e2=1.05&t2=.2

Re: MANDATORY Course Change for MoMa 2013

JRMotown
the beer won't be cold enough yet for the winner this year

running 6am some trails saturday 1-1.5 hours if anyone is around morristown (jockey hollow)

Re: MANDATORY Course Change for MoMa 2013

Steve
The blue "ridge" trail looks to have a steep climb off of silver on the way back up and then re-connects to orange. Also looks pretty steep climbing the first portion of white from cannonball on the way back to the lake. Anyway, I'm going to try to go out there Saturday morning (7am start) but, want to start from Shepard. I think it's now a free lot since we are past Labor Day. I want to chug along and re-calibrate from the real start and incorporate the changes. Just need a final check on my schedule and will confirm when that has solidified. (I guess I ought to find some cash and actually register too)

Re: MANDATORY Course Change for MoMa 2013

Steve
Just saying blue could be an interesting add on if needed. I know it's not part of the changed course

Re: MANDATORY Course Change for MoMa 2013

How far you going?  I may be in for the first 22-24 miles but skip out on the last mountain bike loop.

On Thu, Sep 5, 2013 at 4:26 PM, Steve [via NJ Trail & Ultra Forum] <[hidden email]> wrote:
The blue "ridge" trail looks to have a steep climb off of silver on the way back up and then re-connects to orange. Also looks pretty steep climbing the first portion of white from cannonball on the way back to the lake. Anyway, I'm going to try to go out there Saturday morning (7am start) but, want to start from Shepard. I think it's now a free lot since we are past Labor Day. I want to chug along and re-calibrate from the real start and incorporate the changes. Just need a final check on my schedule and will confirm when that has solidified. (I guess I ought to find some cash and actually register too)

http://nj-trail-ultra-forum.4246737.n2.nabble.com/MANDATORY-Course-Change-for-MoMa-2013-tp7578724p7578729.html
To unsubscribe from MANDATORY Course Change for MoMa 2013, click here.

Thank you,

NJ Trail Series
NJ Trail Series on Facebook

Re: MANDATORY Course Change for MoMa 2013

Steve
That's the plan... Everything but the bike loop... Starting at shepherd  Pretty slow pace ... The past two weekends have been 14 - 16 min averages by the end of the day. Just need figure out which day is best for everyone who wants to go... As of today I'm open for either

Re: MANDATORY Course Change for MoMa 2013

NJ Trail Series
Sat works better for me.  Confirm here or Facebook.  Thanks.

http://nj-trail-ultra-forum.4246737.n2.nabble.com/MANDATORY-Course-Change-for-MoMa-2013-tp7578724p7578733.html
To unsubscribe from MANDATORY Course Change for MoMa 2013, click here.

Thank you,

NJ Trail Series
NJ Trail Series on Facebook

Re: MANDATORY Course Change for MoMa 2013

tfarabaugh
Sounds good but I am worried that starting at Shepherd the first stop for water would not be until Ramapo (AS4, which is 16+ miles, around 4 hours in), and I want to avoid running with a boat load of bottles.  Does anyone know of an open spigot at Yaw Paw we can hit?

Re: MANDATORY Course Change for MoMa 2013

NJ Trail Series
there is

http://nj-trail-ultra-forum.4246737.n2.nabble.com/MANDATORY-Course-Change-for-MoMa-2013-tp7578724p7578735.html
To unsubscribe from MANDATORY Course Change for MoMa 2013, click here.

Thank you,

NJ Trail Series
NJ Trail Series on Facebook

Re: MANDATORY Course Change for MoMa 2013

I will start a new thread to confirm the details...

Re: MANDATORY Course Change for MoMa 2013

tfarabaugh
That is awesome, where exactly is it, in case I am on my own?  Wish I had thought to ask that question earlier as I have been running dry on a few runs recently!

Re: MANDATORY Course Change for MoMa 2013

jbyram2
This post was updated on .
There is one to the left of the "A" Frame building near the edge of the field, as you look at it from the trail.  There is a playground with truck tires nearby also.  I filled up there last Sat.  Not the best tasting, but it's wet.

I remember taking a shortcut last year up the new part of the white trail, and everyone was glad Rick hadn't found out how steep it was, cause then he would have made it part of the course.

Looks like you're getting the last laugh this year.   :-)

Re: MANDATORY Course Change for MoMa 2013

tfarabaugh
Is the "A" Frame the big green one on the right as you are heading south on Cannonball into camp?

Re: MANDATORY Course Change for MoMa 2013

NJ Trail Series
If you know where the aid station is located at Camp Yaw Paw two of those buildings are bathrooms. They have sinks outside that have flowing water. I tested the faucet but not the taste just this week. Cold water flowed clear when I turned it on.

http://nj-trail-ultra-forum.4246737.n2.nabble.com/MANDATORY-Course-Change-for-MoMa-2013-tp7578724p7578742.html

NJ Trail Series on Facebook

Re: MANDATORY Course Change for MoMa 2013

tfarabaugh
Haven't run MOMA before so I am not sure where the AS will be, but I did find a map of Camp Yaw Paw which shows where the latrines as well as a well pump are, so I should be able to find something.  I assume the AS is somewhere near the Ballfield and Health Lodge where Yellow, Red and the access road meet?

Re: MANDATORY Course Change for MoMa 2013

Ok kids here are my notes... Me, Jessi and Matt did an abbreviated recon of about 17 miles where we ran from Bottanical gardens (shepherd gate closed) up white to the red connection and then ran the course (red, blue, cannonbal, yellow) to AS2 and then orange, yellow back to yaw paw. we skipped the out and back to ramapo AS4 and went straight down cannonbal to white back to bottanical. The turn off cannonbal to white is well marked but it is a SHARP LEFT almost a 180 turn. The hill up white is steep (similar to the steep section of green). I suspect its gonna hurt after the long climb out of Ramapo AS4.

Go check it out - the weather is getting good! Thanks to Jessi and Matt for helping me cut my average pace by 2min. I'm feeling better about breaking 8 hours

dont forget to check Lens post - he wants to run tomorrow - we have been letting him hang out there alone -

Re: MANDATORY Course Change for MoMa 2013

tfarabaugh
I did from Upper Skyline (AS2), up orange and yellow to Yaw Paw, the out and back to AS4 and then up cannonball to white to the white/red crossover, down red to blue to cannonball, through Yaw Paw again and cannonball all the way down to Upper Skyline, about 20 miles.  The new white section is pretty much equivalent to the steep first hill on green and will actually be worse because the green hill was after the long downhill to AS4 and now it is after coming back up from AS4 and then uphill into Yaw Paw, which was the longest climb of my 20 miles.  AS 4 to the top of white is 4.3 miles with 900 foot of elevation gain, pretty much uphill the entire way.  Considering this will be miles 16-20, it will be wise to save some strength for this section!

What time did you get to Shepherd that the gate was closed?  I was planning on going out to Shepherd tomorrow as the final 7 mile loop is the only part of the course I have not been on but will probably not get there until 8 so hopefully the gate will be open by then.

Re: MANDATORY Course Change for MoMa 2013

Steve
We were there a bit before 7. I think The park officially opens at 8 so you should be ok.

Re: MANDATORY Course Change for MoMa 2013

One more note: the markers on white turn to yellow over white for a stretch at the top of the climb where the trail combines with yellow.
12