Lenape registration is open

12

Lenape registration is open

For anyone interested in tackling Lenape this year, I just opened the registration on UltraSignup!

http://ultrasignup.com/register.aspx?did=27237

Re: Lenape registration is open

M Jones
Dang, I wanted to say FIRST! But the darn RD got there before me

Re: Lenape registration is open

Well I'm sure as heck not going to be back to SoMo before you, so at least I can register first.

Re: Lenape registration is open

NJ Trail Series
How does the race work?  Is it basically a group run or do people break off and run their own pace?

Also, how easy is it to follow the blazes over the entire route?

Re: Lenape registration is open

AnneP
I know that there's a turn or two in Belleville and Nutely that aren't easy to follow. Not sure about the rest of the trail as I've only done about 5 miles of it from my house.

Re: Lenape registration is open

Everyone pretty much breaks up by the first mile and runs their own pace.  This results in several small groups of different paces.

There might be a few tricky turns, but the whole route is blazed and completely followable. The only exception is a one mile straight stretch right before Mayapple Hill.  I will give more detailed instructions soon, and there will be signs on race day.

Re: Lenape registration is open

Kristina
any slower paced folks running this? maybe i can attach myself to someone with a bungee cord to avoid getting lost

Re: Lenape registration is open

Hey Kristina, you will be OK.  There will be pretty much a group for ever pace.

18 runners are registered, but there are still 7 spots left.

Re: Lenape registration is open

Kristina
haha thanks Chris! looking forward to seeing you guys next!

Re: Lenape registration is open

Does anyone happen to have a link to the GPS track from last years run?

Re: Lenape registration is open

JRMotown
I can drop off a few water jugs friday if needed- I figure mayapple hill is one good spot.

Re: Lenape registration is open

NJtrailrunner
Here's the track from last year.  http://connect.garmin.com/activity/283344631

Re: Lenape registration is open

Thanks Julian!  Thanks Jason, but you don't worry about it.  There will be some aid at Mayapple hill though.

Re: Lenape registration is open

Steve
so - no out and back after 280 - thats good - I will be dead by then…
Just and FYI you can also download the free app called every trail to your phone. If you search lenape trail (liberty water gap trail) by sjmarano, you can overlay the trail onto a map on your phone. it seems pretty good from what I can tell and may help from getting lost in a pinch. Good back-up plan at least...

Re: Lenape registration is open

AnneP
Are there any written directions for those of us who do not own smart phones?

Re: Lenape registration is open

Hey Anne, here is a print copy of the map.  I will be sending out an email soon with some additional details as well.

http://lenape34.squarespace.com/storage/LENAPE34-Map.pdf

Re: Lenape registration is open

seanaes
Anyone know know what the trails in Eagle Rock and/or South Mountain look like? Icy? Snowy?
Should I be bringing microspikes along for the ride?

Re: Lenape registration is open

Tommy
Just ran in SoMo last week for the Febapple and the trails had been pretty smoothed out by the end and there was not really any ice.  With the melt all this week I imagine they are pretty clear and you can do without the spikes.  Didn't see many people wearing them but did see a lot stuck in the snow or abandoned at the side of the trail.  I imagine Eagle Rock would be pretty much the same as SoMo.

Re: Lenape registration is open

Was out tonight for a little jaunt. The hard pack was pretty slick out my way. I'm bringing mine just for kicks.

Re: Lenape registration is open

M Jones
Dang!
I think I executed my race strategy perfectly.  Nothing you can do about Dante (except shoot him and I really don't think felonious behavior is worth a podium finish, just me).  McNutlty was a wild card.  The man is a human snow plow (amongst other things).  And since Harry H., Julian V. and Elizabeth C. didn't show, that just left Jason F. and Jay L. to beat me.

So I casually obfuscated Jason at the ticket machine as the train was leaving without him.  One down.  I knew that Jay had a bum knee, so I had to figure out how to turn this to my advantage.  He didn't want to run on the soft snow or on the inclines so I made sure to run in the snow and up the hills when I was next to him .  Jay dropped at Aid Station #1.

All that stood between me and the podium was this very nice (and strong) Latina woman. If I could separate from her in South Mountain, I was confident that she would need to stop and various intersections and turns in the trail since she was unfamiliar with SoMo.

Check.

I thought I finished 2nd, but some bum "forgot" to record his finish on the timesheet in the RD's Jeep (as instructed by the RD before the start).  Oh well, 3rd place in 8 hours and 30 minutes.  1.5 hours longer than last year but a hell of a lot tougher sledding out there.  How the heck Dante finished less than 25 minutes of last year's finish is incomprehensible to me.  I should reconsider taking that felony charge next year.

Thank you Chris.  Thank you Aid Station Ladies (and Jules).

Dante, I am in awe.

Let's do it again next year.

Love you all,

Marcus