Lenape Info

12

Lenape Info

Date: Saturday, March 3rd
Meeting Spot: Locust Grove Parking Lot in South Mountain
Time: 6:40am
Plan: We will take the 6:50 train from Millburn to Broad Street, Newark and run the 34ish miles back to the cars along the Lenape Trail (yellow blazes).

Some changes this year:
1.) The route will be a little easier this year, as instead of going up over the power lines after crossing rt. 280 (mile 26) and bushwacking south to Mayapple hill. We will instead stay straight on Pleasant Valley Way for about 2 miles, and make a right into the Mayapple hill parking area to re-join the trail.

2.) Instead of leaving from Newark Penn Station, we will be starting from Newark Broad Street, as that is where the train drops us off.  This will only really affect Sean, because he meets us at the start.

3.)  We  may have some support, it won't be the door to door catered service we had last year.  So be prepared to be self supported.  We do pass at least 4 stores to re-supply along the way though.

Below are maps made by another group that does a walk on the trail in November.  We will following the exact route in the below map (but in the reverse direction), including the detour.

Map: http://lenape34.squarespace.com/storage/LENAPE34-Map.pdf

Also, here is the Google map: http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&oe=UTF8&msa=0&msid=203168288907666291453.00048e2341f101dadeaa3&start=1000&num=200&sll=40.857208,-74.217919&sspn=0.018794,0.021098&vpsrc=0&ll=40.796658,-74.233246&spn=0.181935,0.343323&z=11&source=embed

Any questions?

This run is always a fun time!

Re: Lenape Info

Sebounet
Great! Thanks for working on this!

One question: what shoes to use? Road? Trail?

Sent from my iPhone

On Feb 20, 2012, at 1:36 PM, "RNR [via NJ Trail & Ultra Forum]" <[hidden email]> wrote:

Date: Saturday, March 3rd
[...]

http://nj-trail-ultra-forum.4246737.n2.nabble.com/Lenape-Info-tp7302141p7302141.html

Re: Lenape Info

I might be able to sqeeuze all you nuts in my car.  I will be able to hold 4 in seats and the two smallest can sit in my cargo area.  I think it will work, let me know your thoughts.

Re: Lenape Info

Sebounet wrote
Great! Thanks for working on this!

One question: what shoes to use? Road? Trail?
Excellent question Seb. The first 14 miles are mostly road, and after that the majority is trail.  If I had a choice between a minimalist trail shoe or a road shoe, I would go with the road shoe.  The most technical section is in South Mountain, so if you think you can handle that in a road shoe you won't have any problem.

I am wearing my Montrail Badrock's, which are a more supportive trail shoe.
Seb

Re: Lenape Info

Seb
This run is becoming a real expedition.  I LiKE it!
Thx a lot Jules for the support! That's great!
I'll be happy to go shopping for some resources for the group, in term of nutrition (gu, Heed, nuun...)

Re: Lenape Info

Happy to help Seb!  im looking forward to a relaxing day in NJ.

Re: Lenape Info

Chris
Saturday is coming fast, and it looks like it is going to be perfect weather for the Lenape!

Here is the link to the meeting spot, for anyone not sure.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=GLEN+AVE+AT+LACKAWANNA+PL,+MILLBURN+NJ&oe=utf8&hnear=Glen+Ave+%26+Lackawanna+Pl,+Millburn,+Essex,+New+Jersey+07041&gl=us&t=m&z=16

Any other questions?  Jules has been gracious enough to  provide aid during the way.  So you should be able to drop off supplies in his car for along the way.

Plan on Millburn Diner accross from the trailhead, after the run!

Re: Lenape Info

Sebounet
@8am: 47° with 15 m/h wind
@11am: 54° with 14 m/h wind
It will be raining on and off the entire day.
At least, the warmer temperature will make the run comfortable!

Re: Lenape Info

Julie
Does anyone have an idea of where you will be on your travels back to South Mountain and when? I can't run the entire time, but would love to meet up for some miles. I know it's hard to determine a specific time of location, but any guesstimates??
Dom

Re: Lenape Info

Dom
@Julie thats what i was intending to ask Im looking to get out for about 3 hours so Im trying to figure out where might be a good spot to try and cross paths .....Seb i was thinking about timing it (roughly) with you as i think thats about my pace -ish......but anyway Chris I know you mentioned acouple of potential spots last week Im guessing somewhere thats about halfway in?If not Julie i can always meet you at the parking lot at Somo and we can do an out and back to try and intercept them?let me know if either works or you wanna try something else.

Re: Lenape Info

Sebounet
So we are going to be on the Yellow trail all the way down. We are going to enter SoMo on the west side of the reservoir kinda at the X of Woods End Rd and Rte 508. That's what I can see on the map.

As for timing, I'll be the slowest I believe. I have no idea how long it is going to take us. Don't know the terrain.

Chris, we need your input here!

Or what we can do, is get a rough estimate of the finish time. You guys run your loop in SoMo. We all meet up on the Parking lot and go for a breakfast at the diner.

Sent from my iPhone

On Mar 1, 2012, at 2:59 PM, "Dom [via NJ Trail & Ultra Forum]"<[hidden email]> wrote:

@Julie thats what i was intending to ask Im looking to get out for about 3 hours so Im trying to figure out where might be a good spot to try and cross paths .....Seb i was thinking about timing it (roughly) with you as i think thats about my pace -ish......but anyway Chris I know you mentioned acouple of potential spots last week Im guessing somewhere thats about halfway in?If not Julie i can always meet you at the parking lot at Somo and we can do an out and back to try and intercept them?let me know if either works or you wanna try something else.

http://nj-trail-ultra-forum.4246737.n2.nabble.com/Lenape-Info-tp7302141p7333913.html

Re: Lenape Info

Sorry, silly work got in my way today of answering important forum questions. The best place to meet will be Verona park, about 24 miles in for us, I think. It will be a solid 2.5 hrs from there until the end, and the trail passes roght through the parking lot.

When I get home, I will post a link to the exact location, and let you know approx. what time we will be there based on last years times.

Re: Lenape Info

Jess
Hoping to make it out with you guys.  Contemplating the full 34mi and just using Caumsett 50k on Sunday as training (rather than racing hard).  But work has buried me.... will be a game day decision (ie. can I drag my ass out of bed Sat morning?)

If I do make it, hopefully I'll remember to bring the mint-chocolate brownies I have in my freezer.  Yummmmm!!

Re: Lenape Info

LENAPE RUNNERS,

I am your aid station this year.  If you want to leave anything, DNF, or loose your way please call me.  I will do my best to drop you back at south mountain asap depending on how the runners are doing.  I am using nine of the aid station locations from last year (THANK YOU ROB!!). For you fast runners, if you want me at a certain location below let me know. Here are the locations: **I AM STICKING TO THESE **

1. Branch Park-40.7773,-74.17502 (Mile 3)
2. Belleville Park parking lot next to route 506 40.789333,-74.164222 (Mile 6.23)
3. Brookdale Park parking lot next to track 40.834829,-74.190223 (Mile 12)-Long stretch
4. Laural Place Train station right before mills reservation 40.848791,-74.205009 (Mile 14.27)-
5. W.Essex Trail extrance just past Briarwood, reservior on the left-40.862057,-74.21432 (Mile 17.09)
6. Verona Park south entrance parking lot 40.827878,-74.245423 (Mile 21.40) **NO CRYING**
7. Eagle Rock Reservation parking lot by Eagle Rock Ave  40.8035,-74.23791 (Mile 23.78)
8. Mayapple parking lot 40.773652,-74.286911 (Mile 28.43) Almost there!!
9. South Mountain Parking lot, no coordinates needed since we run here often (Mile 33.4) DONE!!!

Your biggest stretch is going to be from aid stations 2 to 3 and 7 to 8.  All of these aid stations are based from last year and seemed to work really well.  The way this course works is that it climbs from the start to mile 15 (slowly) and then has a nice decend to mile 18, from there it climbs up to mile 24 and peaks (Eagle Rock Reservation), then decends rapidly to mile 27.5. From mile 28 to the end its all rolling terrian.  Its a great course from start to finish.  I will also bring some simple aid station goodies i hope to live up to Rob last year.  It looks like the forcast is calling for rain so bring some dry clothes and a change of shoes.  Anyone running part of the course call me and let me know where you want to start.  I will have a pretty good idea where everyone is and will be able to point you in the right direction.  I'm very excited to be a part of this and excited to see everyone complete it.  This course will have a 100% finisher rate.  @Sean-thrid time is a charm.

Your Ultra Moblie Crew Station Cheif,

Jules "Silent Storm" Moore
julesm01@verizon.net-email for my cell

Re: Lenape Info

Sebounet
I big THANK YOU to our Crew Chief!
I like the NO CRYING at mile 21.

It will be wet, it will be fun!

Sent from my iPhone

On Mar 1, 2012, at 9:29 PM, "Jules \"silentstorm\" Moore [via NJ Trail & Ultra Forum]"<[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

[hidden email] for my cell

http://nj-trail-ultra-forum.4246737.n2.nabble.com/Lenape-Info-tp7302141p7335224.html

Re: Lenape Info

Below a link to a web site that provides the tracks of the Lenape for gps devices. The track does not feature the SoMo section, but I'd say that is the easiest in term of orientation.

http://www.libertygap.org/gps-trail-maps.html?view=tracks&layout=track&id=12

Re: Lenape Info

Chris
"The track does not feature the SoMo section, but I'd say that is the easiest in term of orientation.
"

Seb, Seb, Seb. 100% of the runners who have not finished this run, have gone astray on the sections not listed in the map.

Dom, Julie, and anyone else who might like to join mid-run, here is probably the best place to meet:

Verona Park - ETA 12:20 - 12-15 miles from the finish (mostly trail)
http://g.co/maps/j69d6

I would probably give Jules a call before you leave, just to make sure everyone is still running in the right directions.
Dom

Re: Lenape Info

Dom
Tx guys. Ill figure something out if Julie wants to we can leave 1 car at Locust Grove and drive the other to that point.....or we can just run an out and back from Locust grove to a closer point.....either way suits me.Julie what do u think?

Re: Lenape Info

Julie
@Dom, I'd definitely be willing to meet you for a loop and some more at SoMo tomorrow. Time? I'd much prefer morning if you can do it unless you want to time it with the group....

Re: Lenape Info

Julie
Dom, sorry I just saw your new post. I'm good for whatever tomorrow as long as I'm back home around 4pm. If tomorrow doesn't work out, you up for any running on Sunday? When is Watchung closed for hunting?
12