Leadville

JRMotown
Anyone planning on doing this or similar high-altitude ultras? Chris? If so, want to come up with some kind of training plan? I was thinking of going for it because it has no lottery.

Re: Leadville

Tom7
Hey Jason.
Leadville looks a good 'un.
Myself and Chris ran a small portion of the course earlier this year as part of the Trans Rockies. I believe the race gets very busy - largely because there is no lottery. I don't think there are any entry requirements either?? May be wrong. Its a fantastic setting.
Go for it. You should be damn good shape following the NJ100. I doubt I'll run it in 2011 but some other year maybe.

But.
If you want a real high altitude ultra check out this. Its for the big boys:

http://web.me.com/drrajatchauhan/B2F/The_High.html

Cheers

Re: Leadville

JRMotown
Himalayan race looks rad. I wonder how one would train for the altitute though. I went ahead and bought the Leadville entry, and the corny license plate. I'm hoping the commercials are real and there are mountain pools full of Coors Lights. There looks like close to 1000 folks that ran it (including DNF's) last year

Re: Leadville

Tom7
Training for the High and even the Everest marathon can be done anywhere. The aclimatisation is the tough thing that makes these events a journey and indeed a holiday.

For alimatisation there is no alternative to being up there. Both events require 10-14 days to complete. You land at 2500m and slowly treck to the starting point at approx 6000m. You could do this distance in 3 days easily but the programme takes about 9 days to help the gradual acclimatisation - the rules 2 days up 1 day down. Stress the body with altitude during the day but descend and sleep a little lower at night.

9 days to treck to the event starting point.
1-1.5days running.
2 days treck back.

Btw.
If my wife is still in UK by Leadville time I may offer to crew for you.
Cheers

Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

From: "JRMotown [via NJ Trail & Ultra Forum]" <[hidden email]>
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2010 03:45:06 -0800 (PST)
To: Tom7<[hidden email]>
Subject: Re: Leadville

Himalayan race looks rad. I wonder how one would train for the altitute though. I went ahead and bought the entry, and the corny license plate. I'm hoping the commercials are real and there are mountain pools full of Coors Lights. There looks like close to 1000 folks that ran it (including DNF's) last year

View message @ http://nj-trail-ultra-forum.4246737.n2.nabble.com/Leadville-tp5794456p5795689.html

Re: Leadville

That is excellent Jason!!!

If you have ever been at elevation and know whether it effects you, you will be ahead of the game.  Otherwise, there are two different strategies for tackling a race like Leadville (or any other US race at elevation for that matter). You can go out way early and acclimate properly, or you can arrive the day before the race, and run the race before the effects of the elevation set in.

What you definitely don't want to do is arrive only 2-3 days before the race, as the affects of the altitude will be hitting you right on race day.

As far as the actual race training goes, getting in as many runs on courses like "Running with the Devil" will definitely help.  It is not a technical race, but the climbing is not even close to anything we have around here.

Re: Leadville

JRMotown
Thanks for the advice fellas. Seems tough but doable. I think I'll try going out 4-5 days and do some breathing exercises I found online to get the lungs working differently. Is that somewhat how you did it for Transcendental?

Re: Leadville

NJ Trail Series
From my understanding Leadville does not have a lottery nor entry requirements but does have strict time cut offs.  With those three things you get a lot of inexperienced runners who DNF

I agree that you can train for the terrain around here, I also would run the Devil course, but it will be your lungs that need the most help.

This is on my wish list if I ever can find the time.

FYI, there is a little hostel in Leadville that is supposed to be pretty nice and offers the cheapest bed in town.  Google Leadville hostel and book immediately if you are going.

Re: Leadville

JRMotown wrote
Thanks for the advice fellas. Seems tough but doable. I think I'll try going out 4-5 days and do some breathing exercises I found online to get the lungs working differently. Is that somewhat how you did it for Transcendental?
For TransRockies, we pretty much did exactly what I advised you not to do.  We went out only two days before the event started.  I ended up paying for it pretty bad the first day.  Tom, on the other hand was fine the whole time (of course), so maybe the altitude just won't effect you.

Re: Leadville

JRMotown
Ouch- yeah everything I've read over the past couple of days says it's just something you don't know until you go there and do it. Might have to take a week off and go 6 days early and do some light hiking. I did hike a few years ago in CA at around 9K and was ok. I wonder if it helps to live at the highest point in Randolph (633 ft)

Re: Leadville

Will do the hostel thing- thanks! Anyone who is up there that week and in for some hiking the week of Aug 13-20 let me know,