Knickerbocker 60K - Nov. 19th, 2011

jasonrmotown
Showed up late after taking the subway too far into queens- got too late to get a bib but they let me put my name anyway, as long as I yelled out my number each loop. Time is an estimation, I'm not sure when exactly I actually started- hoping to get under 5 hours on the actual results but probably not,

Was hoping to see a few people I knew but we only knew one another from the back :/

It was iffy using minimus on this course, I hadn't fully recovered from the day before on trails and the week's runs, so the road for 37 miles was so different from what I am used to. However, as it usually happens, the impact after about 10-15 miles numbs out any pains and leaves a pleasant fatique feeling to get into a steady pace with. A lot of folks walking this course after a while- 30 miles on road I'm sure the first time is no joke! Was able to keep a steady ~8 minute mile pace for the main 9 loops, the first mini-loop I finally learned how to properly tie the Green Silences but inserting the laces into the toungue loops to eliminate that pressure point problem on the top of the foot. This cost me about 5 minutes and having started 45-50 minutes late I guess my results will start from 45 minutes or so?

First time in Central Park, I need to get out more. The shopping season was already in full swing, huge Clydesdale horses shared the path with us. This was such a cool way to experience an American landmark, the first time being there, I didn't really think I was in Central Park until I remembered many car commercials and movie scenes that I recognized.

Almost feel like I need at least a little trail to balance out the pavement, and actually got to run about 20% of the course off the side of the paved path on mini-trails parallel to the path.

The last couple loops my feet were starting to get a little fatiqued, starting having little moments where I lost control of the motion and the foot shot forward. the last 4 loops took the most mental concentration as it was time to speed up slightly. Someone handed me a ginger bagel, since there was no food at this race, and I only had 2 gels, it was awesome!

Finished with some family who were in town for a play taking video and pics, and saw Rich at the end who finished well over an hour before.

A great experience, one thing about ultras, is not only they are smaller and friendlier than huge races, but you get to tour out unique areas with these kinds of races. Good to get a decent road long run in after a long time, good prep for the spring boston race, and I'm ecstatic that the feet are finally really used to minimus even for these distances now, went out for 11 miles of trail in the trail minimus and not as many ouch spots anymore.

Re: Knickerbocker 60K - Nov. 19th, 2011

Great job Jason!  Glad your foot felt good enough to race.