Jersey City Running Help

This question is directed at Sean S., but I would happy to hear from anyone else with knowledge of the Jersey City area.

This week, I started running after work from my office downtown up to Port Authority to get the bus home, about 6 miles.  Today, as I was running along the Westside bike path (and could see NJ) I started thinking, why only run to the bus, why not try to run all the way home. So, I put it into Google and it turns out it is only 16 miles from JC to my home.

My question is, how pedestrian friendly is the actual below route through JC? Once I get out of JC, I know it is fine, but I am not so sure about the Rt. 7 area.  Any insight would be helpful.

See Route Here

Re: Jersey City Running Help

seanaes
This would be awesome but I can't really recommend running / walking / biking on Route 7 over the Hackensack River up until you pass under the Turnpike as there is little if any shoulder, on most of this road. I have cycled on it, but was younger and a little more foolish.

 This is definitely a pain point because besides this route you have mapped out here the next nearest Hackensack River crossing is in Teaneck or Hackensack. Although I have always wanted to explore a way through the meadowlands using the train tracks, pipeline roads and the like. I know all the active bridges are manned but I have heard of people being able to cross the bridge near Harmon Cove in Secaucus

If you are taking the PATH across the Hudson River continue past the Jersey City stops and get off the Train in Harrison (or Newark) - makes the run back to your place about 12 miles. Or you could run north until Ridgefield Park as shown here - good for 20 ish miles (YMMV I just dragged this through google maps trying to stay off the busy roads where possible)

This reminds me of my plan to run commute to work from Jersey City to the East Village - either across the George Washington Bridge (18-20 miles) or through Staten Island + the Ferry (15 miles) - but the PATH train takes my 30 minutes door to door.