I obviously have no idea what I'm doing...someone explain this?

I obviously have no idea what I'm doing...someone explain this?

RPMcMurphy(Rob)
"Sweet Caroline" 10k Redemption PR
I must be half-retarded. On the way to my hotel from work today, my last day in NJ, I found myself reaching into my bag and digging out some stinky shorts and changing while driving. I pulled up in front of my NJ house, got out, threw on my still wet trail shoes and clicked start on my Garmin. I went off to do the route that I did since day 1, the 10k local race route which runs by my NJ house. This was the race that got me started running. My legs certainly did not feel fresh, but they didn't feel bad either. I really didn't look at my watch but went at what felt like an easy effort for two miles or so, then I hit the first hill. This hill was THE hill (now, a pimple in comparison). Caroline Drive. "Sweet Caroline". I remember when I couldn't run up it. Well, I pushed it and picked up the pace. I felt pretty good despite some dead legs and a noticeable lack of turnover. I looked down and I was at a mid 8:00 pace. Nice. Well, I figured what the hell and continued on. Can't say it was race pace, as my legs were a bit limiting, but almost.

Stopped the watch at 6.2mi, 350ft climb,  8:28 pace, 162HR, 179max.  This is the fastest 10k I've ever run. My previous fastest pace on this exact course was 9:07 pace with 165hr/185max on Sept. 28th 2010. A year before that, same course, (after my first year running) 9:23 pace 172 HR.  Heck, the Bolder Boulder I ran in late may had half the climb and I only did 9:17 pace at 174HR

SO same course:
10/18/2011 - 8:28 pace, 162HR, 179max
09/28/2010 - 9:07 pace, 165HR, 185max
10/25/2009 - 9:23 pace, 172HR, 190max

Garmin Data:
New 10k PR: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/122733568
Previous: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/50957584

The only disappointing thing was my cadence was only 85...likely due to some dead legs from the weekend.

Someone please explain to me, how exactly 10 days ago, on a week with low mileage, I run a MUCH flatter, easier 10k in Boulder (the creek path), with half the climb, at 8:51 pace and 165HR!? (data: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/119931185) then, I run 31 hard miles in the woods and two days later I do this on a much hillier course.....at night, in the dark, with no light, at a lower HR. Can't be just altitude.

I obviously have no idea what the fuck I'm doing.

Back to the trails/Boulder tomorrow! But not until I pick up a new pair of Cascadias. I wanted to hate these, but they work well for me. These are trashed and will be donated to the hotel maid to save some weight in my carry-on for a cookbook someone gifted me. Only complaint is the toe tread wears a little faster than I'd like.

Re: I obviously have no idea what I'm doing...someone explain this?

Tom7

Maybe you just enjoyed the run.

You didn't worry about pace, nutrition or hydration.
Ie - you didn't over-think it.

Or maybe you were just running to leave the stench of the shorts behind?

Have a good trip back to Colorado.

Re: I obviously have no idea what I'm doing...someone explain this?

Ps

What the F is "cadence" and can I buy it at REI?

Re: I obviously have no idea what I'm doing...someone explain this?

jasonrmotown
Crazy, isn't it? I think it has something to do with lactic acid or just loosened up from the constant movement.. I've always for some reason had good runs the next day or two days later after a long event, like I did the 5k the next day and felt pretty good. Maybe you felt like your job was done for the week and there was no pressure to perform.

Re: I obviously have no idea what I'm doing...someone explain this?

I agree with Tom. Maybe you were just enjoying yourself. In my opinion, the essence of running. Ok...maybe the essence of amateur running...

There is a lot to be said for running "relaxed". It simply conserves energy and I think it makes you faster. I'm certainly no expert but, I think many of us get way too stressed on race day. Weather it's running for the win or, just a PR; all that over-thinking leads to stressed running, poor form and wasted energy.

Try concentrating less and running more if you know what I mean.

Safe travels home and great runs (both MoMa and the 10K redemption)

Re: I obviously have no idea what I'm doing...someone explain this?

Steve
PS - Tom

You don't need cadence 'cause you probably still run like a baboon!

Re: I obviously have no idea what I'm doing...someone explain this?

Hi Steve.

Yes I know, I run like a baboon. A pregnant baboon at that. And I haven't got a clue about cadence but would like to afford a life of decadence.

I also like Jasons explanation : Rob suffers from performance anxiety.  Maybe Lorry can comment?

Cheers.

To unsubscribe from I obviously have no idea what I'm doing...someone explain this?, click here.

Proof?

photo.JPG (44K) Download Attachment

Re: I obviously have no idea what I'm doing...someone explain this?

I got in ok. Was a while though before they let me out again. Visa / work permit issues.

No running group but a few runners. Funnily enough all English. Flipin fast. 2 50 marathoners and road runners so a new challenge for me.
Road running suits me at moment because of next years goal but am missing the trails and the hills. There is 1 mountain marathon near here next year which I'll do.

Breaking news.  Will be in Us next year for 2 weeks. Not sure when yet but will ensure a (chris beating) race.
Watch this space.

Ciao.

Re: I obviously have no idea what I'm doing...someone explain this?

Excellent! Any hint when it might be? Watchung Ultra perhaps?

Re: I obviously have no idea what I'm doing...someone explain this?

Tom7
Governor

Definitely not that early.
Reckon late Q2/Q3 which gives you plenty of time to train.

Re: I obviously have no idea what I'm doing...someone explain this?

TadHawk
I think I heard a rumor that Boulder is not at sea level.