I love all of you, but Jay slightly less ;)

I love all of you, but Jay slightly less ;)

M Jones
It could be the beer talking, but that was a great, tough day out there at Ringwood.  I thought Jay could bring me across the finish line in under 6 hours. It was not to be.  I shouldn't have entrusted such a sacred mission with one so young.  He took me out way too fast.  I have proof.

Here's my garmin data from MoMa 2012 when I finished in 6:04

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/228424593

Here's my gamin data from this year's fandango when I also finished in 6:04

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/382719618

Now I do believe that this was a tougher course than in 2012.  Nonetheless, looking at that data for when the course was the same in both years illustrates why today was not the day.

In 2012, I got to A/S #2 at Skyline Blvd in 1:48 and this year, chasing that rabbit Jay, we got there in 1:36 (I admit that last year I was off course for about 1/2 a mile accounting for some of the variance).  Last year I got to A/S #4 in Ramapo in 3:09, this year that crazy rabbit got me there in 2:54.  To that point, MoMa 2012 and 2013 was exactly the same.

Is it any wonder I put up a 17:20 for mile 20?  Further, I left for the Mountain Bike Loop at 4:53 last year, while this year I left with my pacer, Jay, at 4:49.  There were more downed trees this year which slowed me down, but if I do think that chasing that rabbit sapped a lot of my strength.

I know that I should know better, having five children of my own.  I can't rely on the young 'uns to get you where you need to be. That's on me.  My bad.

Regardless, it was so great to see all of you out there: Coach Chris, Monster Dave Lettieri (nice kilt), Super Jayson, Slick Rick, Charlie Potatoes, Ever-surprising Sean, Sarcastic Steve, Miss Jody.  Yeah, even Handsome Jay (that bum).  Despite Jay's sabotage, it was a wonderful day, and made that way by seeing all of you out there pushing so hard to get the job done.

I don't know if I'll ever break 6 hours on that contemptible course, but I do thank all of you for helping me get so close.  I will try again last year.  Perhaps without Jay's help, since next year he'll probably be pacing that Dixon fellow.

Stay strong,
Marcus

Re: I love all of you, but Jay slightly less ;)

Steve
Marcus, champion of consistency, nice job (except the part where you allow a kid half your age to make your decisions for you)

I thought my slow start - slower finish strategy worked really well. Last night I dreamt of beer and paper plates. Not sure why.

Now for a few "minor" corrections to your post. Let's switch a few names. It should be Sarcastic Jay and Hansome Steve, Slick Rick is actually Casual Rick and let's not forget the equally handsome Mr Jody and gracefull Kristina Ballerina (for the record Kristina, I fell too)

Happy to share trail with all of you - well done one and all!

Re: I love all of you, but Jay slightly less ;)

Steve
One more thing... It's Johnny Potatoes....

Re: I love all of you, but Jay slightly less ;)

M Jones
My apologies, it is indeed Johnny Potatotes and I am quite remiss to overlook Big Jody, Ms Kristina, and the father-to-be Lenny.

And now that the beer has worn off (and yet the disappointment lingers), I must correct my previous assessment.  Without Jay, I would not have finished anywhere near 6:04.   In fact, Jay set me up perfectly to break 6 hours by getting back to A/S #6 just ahead of last year's pace, extraordinarily well timed to break 6 if I could only run the Mtn Bike loop at the same pace as last year.

I could not.

It was a grueling race, made less so by Jay's humor and good company on the trail.

Thanks, Jay, we'll get it next year.

Re: I love all of you, but Jay slightly less ;)

JRMotown
If you set your empty cup on the ground, when you come back it is magically refilled. It rains India pale ale at Ringwood. What better time when it all becomes absorbed as recovery elixer?

Re: I love all of you, but Jay slightly less ;)

Rick
I had a blast yesterday. Everyone was terrific and inspiring, and I couldn't have done it with such superb bromanship. I was thinking of you guys, Marcus & Jay, and it was fun to see you climbing up out of Ramapo. Even jived on Jay a bit for being behind ya there Marcus. Such fun.

Rock on everyone. See you soon.

Now off to buy a rolling pin for these busted theighs.

Re: I love all of you, but Jay slightly less ;)

casual rick
And big shout out to Tommy, who ran those trails steady and with vigor, and finished looking strong. And his whole fam cooking for us afterwards. Good job man.
Jay

Re: I love all of you, but Jay slightly less ;)

Jay
Marcus i told you its your fault we went out so fast, all you had to do was get in front of me and slow me down, that simple. in all seriousness, i wouldve never pushed myself as hard as i did yesterday if it wasnt for you, i was determined to try best to stick with you for as long as possible and luckily/harshly i was able to do it for the whole thing. so, i owe you (for pushing me through) and Chris (http://ultra-calculator.com predicting my time within 40 seconds) a big thank you for that time. congrats everyone for finishing such a harsh race, it was fun seeing us all put our fun relaxed training runs (and potatoes) to the test.

Re: I love all of you, but Jay slightly less ;)

tfarabaugh
Thank you so much, that really means a lot!  I have all of you guys to thank for taking me out and showing me the trails and for keeping me company on my first 50k.  Rick kept me moving through AS1 and Cannonball and Bob was a huge help coming out of AS2 and that long hike out of Ramapo (I would say run but realistically there was little running).  It was a long day but I finished well and was within a reasonable amount of my goal (hoped for 6:45 - 7, finished at 7:08).  Mid-race I changed my goal to finish within 10 minutes of Bob and managed to come within 12!

My wife was pleased you like the cooking and says to just wait for the November One Day when she has a full kitchen.  She is already planning out a menu (vegetarian black bean chili, cornbread, etc.).

Hope to see you guys at the Winter Series races and I am already psyching myself up to run the 50 miler at the NJ Ultra Festival in March!

Re: I love all of you, but Jay slightly less ;)

Scott H
Great job to everyone out there!

Re: I love all of you, but Jay slightly less ;)

jbyram2
Good seeing all of you there, climbing strong out of ramapo, while I was lumbering downhill.  I did keep Kristina Ballerina company, and encouraged her with a verse or two of bad runner singing.  Instead of following Jay, I was following my awesome brother Art, who (maybe) is running nipmunk next weekend.

At onepoint I think we had Jody Cubed on the trail.

I pity casual rick if he is as ugly as me.

Great job Marcus, (did you know that Jay Leno and David Letterman finished right behind you?)and the rest of you!

Re: I love all of you, but Jay slightly less ;)

JohnnyDePaola
Those potatoes carried me all the way to the bike loop, once the gels started tasting more like chemicals than honey I was happy to have my trusty old Yukon Golds.

What a great day though guys, definitely a tough course, but well worth it.  I'm actually still wearing my finishers medal... I think it looks great on me.

A special thanks for Steve for not letting me follow Rick when he took off at mile 2, I definitely needed the energy while I was trying to navigate the bike look.

Thanks to all you guys that convinced me to sign up for the 50k.  Hopefully I'll see you guys all on the trial soon.

Re: I love all of you, but Jay slightly less ;)

Kristina
A BIG "Thank You" to all of you  I flirted with the idea of stopping but seeing you guys heading down to AS4 and then lots of encouragement from Aid Station folk, Steve, and Jay's singing was just what my spirit needed. Changing my sneakers before heading out to the bike loop was key and helped save my feet. And for all the running I do, and being a former gymnast & ballerina, you'd think I would be more graceful, but I guess that's the irony of the nickname "Kristina Ballerina". Luckily, the bruises and cuts are fading nicely.

Well done you guys. I'm proud of you. See you out there soon!