Hydration

Caseybil
I'm a Noob to this group, but I have been checking the site, and reading posts for a little while.

My name is Bill, and I mostly run short distance(6-8 mile) trails in Morris County(Tourne, Butler-Kinnelon trail, Pyramid Mountain, etc.)  I've been trail running for a couple years, but never really expanded my distance.  I'm increasing this year to prepare for the 25K option of MoMa.  I ran the short portion last year, and it was a lot of fun.

I'm looking for advice on hydration packs for longer distances.  I ran a 10 mile loop this past Sat, and my handheld bottle didn't cut it.  I'm looking for something light wieght, but that can sufficient fluid amounts for 10-15 mile training runs.

Do you guys prefer packs over belts, or vice-versa?

I'm inspired by all your posts, and hope to one day put in a 50 miler.

Re: Hydration

Tommy
I use the Orange Mud HyrdaQuiver and swear it is the best hydration system ever.  It is a pack that sits on the upper shoulders and holds two water bottles (the holsters are adjustable so you can vary the size of the bottles).  It also has a pack behind the bottles for maps, phones, food, etc. and two shoulder pockets for GUs, phones, whatever.  It does not bounce at all and is super easy to refill, just reach over your shoulder, grab the bottle and fill it, no need to take the pack off to refill.  On long events with access to drop bags I just pack spare full bottles and all I do is swap them out.  My total stopped time in my last two 50ks was under 2 minutes.  Here is a link to the site:

http://www.orangemud.com/collections/running-packs/products/hydraquiver-db

Re: Hydration

Caseybil
Tommy,

Thank you very much for the great info.

Re: Hydration

I've been using the Nathan HPL 020 for a few years, and think it's pretty good, but i don't run ultra distances. The bladder holds 2 liters of liquid, and when it's really hot i bring an extra collapsible bottle with more water. I've always had enough to stay hydrated during my runs (10-15 miles). There are a couple of compartments for protein bars, cell phone, etc, and there's a small pouch in the back that i keep some first-aid supplies and my wallet/keys in.
My gripe with it is that the elastic cord/tie down system in the back is not great for securing extra clothing, and during many runs i've had to stop because whatever i've had in there has come loose.
If all you need the pack for is hydration and a few small items, you won't have that issue.

When i'm ready for a new one, i'll definitely be looking into other brands/models to see what else is out there.

Re: Hydration

JohnnyDePaola
Hi Casey! Welcome to the forums, they're a great group of guys, but watch out... one day I told them I wanted to run the 25k and they convinced me to register for the 50k instead.  (it was the best decision of my running career, thanks guys!)

I've been using the AK Race Vest by Ultimate Direction and love it. It's very comfortable and has several different straps for sizing, it took me the duration of the first run to get it fitted but haven't had to adjust it since. There are two bottles that sit on your chest and a small pack in the back for other goodies, I've even squeezed a third bottle in there on very hot days. There are also plenty of pockets in the front for things like phones, gels, maps etc.

This is a link to their 2.0 version, I have the original but this looks very similar.

http://ultimatedirection.com/p-628-ak-race-vest-20.aspx?category=signature-series

Campmor in Paramus has a nice selection of packs that you can try on. I'd suggest wearing something similar to what you'll be running in, I stopped on my way home from work several times, trying these on over a dress shirt isn't ideal.

Best of luck, and I hope to see you on the trails!

Re: Hydration

Caseybil
Thank you guys for the great feedback.  I like my options.

Hopefully I see you guys on the trails soon.  I have my sights on the NJ Trail Serie, Spring Series on Jun 1.

Re: Hydration

Caseybil
I went with your suggestion and picked up the double barrel hydra quiver.  I couldn't be happier.  No bounce, hands free, easy to use, comfortable, and plenty of water.  I need to dial in the straps, and it will be perfect for what I need.

Thanks again,

Bill

Re: Hydration

Tommy
Bill - Glad you like it.  Below is a link to the video that shows the best way to get it on (over your head rather than one arm at a time) and points out the elastic loops to slip the straps under to keep them from flapping around (did not notice that in the first 4 months I had them).

When it gets really hot in the summer you can actually take one of their bottles and loop the elastic strap  in the middle of the back over the neck of the bottle and it can hang their in the middle between the holsters as an extra bottle.  Haven't tried it yet  to see how much it bounces.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXSRgFM90jA