Headlamp recommendations

tfarabaugh
I am looking to pick up a headlamp for some early morning runs and wanted to get some recommendations.  It will get limited use and I probably don't need to break the bank.  As much as I like the idea of the Petzl Nao it may be overkill for my needs (plus it seems like it would be heavy).  Thoughts?
Jay

Re: Headlamp recommendations

Jay
i got one from REI last yr that was like $30…. 90 lumens (bright enough for someone who's afraid of the dark). not heavy at all, it serves its purpose

Re: Headlamp recommendations

Runningfoxnj
I believe I got the same one as Jay. It's just what I needed for limited use. REI is having extended Black Friday sales. Check out their site, or the store in East Hanover. I think it's a Black diamond? Can't remember the company off the top of my head. (No pun intended!)

Re: Headlamp recommendations

I have a petzl tika 2 $40 +/- REI. I often just use a handheld flashlight because I don't always like the light beam coming from my head especially in rain or snow conditions. The handheld beam also gives better depth perception with the lower angle.

Re: Headlamp recommendations

JohnnyDePaola
I'm using the Black Diamond Sprinter with great success.  It has a rear flashing light and rechargeable battery, adjustable front beam and a reasonable wide strap that is surprisingly comfortable.  REI has it on sale right now for 25% off, about $50.

My only complaint is that in the early morning mist, rain and probably the snow too, the beam can be annoying.  I also use a super inexpensive waterproof flashlight, picked it up at Campmor for about $9.

Re: Headlamp recommendations

Tommy
I may do a few runs with a headlamp on and a flashlight in hand to try and determine which is more comfortable.  I think for me I might be more comfortable with a flashlight in hand (they have ones that actually strap on the front of the fists like headlights) than a headlamp with strap, battery, etc.

Re: Headlamp recommendations

Kristina
honestly, I bought one from home depot for like $20 and then I saw Costco had a 3 pack of similar ones and used them for the Bear Mtn 50 last May. nothing fancy but they do have 3 light options with I think about 100 lumen, blinking and steady, adjustable with a strap to go length wise over the head too