Garmin 305 on sale for 95.95 at Best Buy

Garmin 305 on sale for 95.95 at Best Buy

Re: Garmin 305 on sale for 95.95 at Best Buy

Tom7
Is this a good machine?

Have been thinkig about joining C21 and investing in GPS technology - if only to validate a sub 1:37 Watchung.

But I haven't got a clue which unit to buy. Garmin. Polar, Sunnito, Iron Man??
The Garmin 605 was the best looking but at 340USD, pretty expensive and I don't understand half the functions.

Was on the Garmin website last night and am now even more confused. Whats the difference between a  running computer and a GPS watch?

I need a watch that can:
1  track where I'm going.
2  let me upload a route from a pc that I can follow so I don't get lost. Like a car gps. At the next blaise turn left.
3  be sturdy enough to survive rough treatment and crappy weather.
4  look cool, or super un-cool.
5  have a battery that lasts long enough for an an ultra.

Ansers on a post card.

Re: Garmin 305 on sale for 95.95 at Best Buy

RPMcMurphy(Rob)
1  track where I'm going.
Yes, it does that.

2  let me upload a route from a pc that I can follow so I don't get
lost. Like a car gps. At the next blaise turn left.
Yes, but not necessarily turn by turn...just a little pointy arrow
pointing you in the direction of each waypoint

3  be sturdy enough to survive rough treatment and crappy weather.
Mine has lasted for over 2 years

4  look cool, or super un-cool.
Super UNcool (wear it to work and tell everyone you are a time
traveler from the 80's)

5  have a battery that lasts long enough for an an ultra.
Mine lasted 13 hours during the ultrafest.

The only downfalls of the 305, that I found, is it's not 100%
waterproof (people have wore in in triathlons in the swim with no
problems, but others have had it bonk out, if you don't plan on
wearing it swimming, it will survive a drop in a mud puddle or long
runs in the rain). It also does not do barometric altitude measuring,
but, not many do.

On Mon, Apr 25, 2011 at 6:44 AM, Tom7 [via NJ Trail & Ultra Forum]
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Is this a good machine?
>
> Have been thinkig about joining C21 and investing in GPS technology - if
> only to validate a sub 1:37 Watchung.
>
> But I haven't got a clue which unit to buy. Garmin. Polar, Sunnito, Iron
> Man??
> The Garmin 605 was the best looking but at 340USD, pretty expensive and I
> don't understand half the functions.
>
> Was on the Garmin website last night and am now even more confused. Whats
> the difference between a  running computer and a GPS watch?
>
> I need a watch that can:
> 1  track where I'm going.
> 2  let me upload a route from a pc that I can follow so I don't get lost.
> Like a car gps. At the next blaise turn left.
> 3  be sturdy enough to survive rough treatment and crappy weather.
> 4  look cool, or super un-cool.
> 5  have a battery that lasts long enough for an an ultra.
>
> Ansers on a post card.

Re: Garmin 305 on sale for 95.95 at Best Buy

seanaes
The strap will have no problem fitting your skinny wrists. and what Rob said.

I've got the the 305 and it does what it says on the tin.
You can also download Chris' 1:37 Watchung run to the watch and you can run against a watch-based-ghost version of him throughout the course.

Nike+ watch is available too - http://www.runtheline.com/1552/nike-sportswatch-gps-running-watch-review
Reviews I have read is that it's slightly less accurate than the Garmins but it's not hideous* looking

*your definition of hideous may vary

Re: Garmin 305 on sale for 95.95 at Best Buy

At $95, the 305 gives you by far the best bang for your buck out of all the GPS watches. That is really a good deal.

Re: Garmin 305 on sale for 95.95 at Best Buy

Tom7
Bloody hell.

Was about the order the 305 - tha fact that is would fit my skinny, effeminate wrist and also make me look like an '80s time-traveller were the deciding factors.

Then I see the Nike which used words like - very simple to use. This was the idiot proof option for me.

Looked on the Nike website and its no longer available.

In town tomorrow so will check the Nike store.

Re: Garmin 305 on sale for 95.95 at Best Buy

Steve
interesting comment thread on the Nike Watch here.... looks like about 9hour battery life... If I had to get another GPS watch, I'd buy the 305 unless I struck gold, then I'd get the Garmin 310XT
http://gear.runnersworld.com/2011/04/first-look-nike-sportwatch-gps.html

Re: Garmin 305 on sale for 95.95 at Best Buy

seanaes
You've got 12 hours to get a 1/1600~ish chance of winning a just-about-to-be-released Garmin 610 here:

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2011/04/garmin-forerunner-610-giveaway.html

You will also have the satisfaction of slightly reducing my chances of winning it.

Re: Garmin 305 on sale for 95.95 at Best Buy

Tom the 305 is simple to use and garmin connect is a great way to pull in new routes if your not fimilar with the area or share a route.  I think by far thats the best feature of the 305 and the software that comes with it is a nice tool to use for training as you can compare different variables of your runs.  It is bulky and nerdy looking but it does the job, I would 100% invest in one.

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/

review of the nike GPS watch

Re: Garmin 305 on sale for 95.95 at Best Buy

Re: Garmin 305 on sale for 95.95 at Best Buy

Ended up getting the 310xt.
Decision was made based on:

1 20hr battery life.
2 Campmor discount for team sponsored runners.
3 having the most expensive watch will make me a better runner
4 will make me feel superior to all those sporting cheaper versions.

Also made an impulse purchase of the INNOV8 BearGrip shoes.
Perfect for soft mud and grassy fells. Completely useless for any sort of technical terrain like we have around here.

Re: Garmin 305 on sale for 95.95 at Best Buy

RPMcMurphy(Rob)
My wife has that one....good luck getting more than 8 hrs out of the battery.

Rob

http://nj-trail-ultra-forum.4246737.n2.nabble.com/Garmin-305-on-sale-for-95-95-at-Best-Buy-tp6301737p6310521.html
To unsubscribe from Garmin 305 on sale for 95.95 at Best Buy, click here.
dp

Re: Garmin 305 on sale for 95.95 at Best Buy

dp
This is a good deal!  I've been considering a running gps purchase after recently returning an expensive Edge 800 (cycling). But after further thought, I realized:

1. It's really ugly.
2  I'm not nearly a good enough runner to pull off something so ugly.
3. It's big; it might slow me down.
4. I'll never come close to needing to validate a sub 1:37 at Watchung.

I just saved $95.  That feels good.

Re: Garmin 305 on sale for 95.95 at Best Buy

Tom7
Ha. I splashed out the 300 on 310xt. My daughters nicked it and I'll likely never see it again.

Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile