FNG

Dmhamilton
Good evening, I am a vermont native desperately seeking terrain in the Ft. Dix area! I have been a member of a NH (previous station) based race team primarily MUT, and snowshoe, and some cycle (mountain tri and cyclocross). Just looking for a community of runners that prefer dirt to pavement. Currently training for The North Face 50 miler in bear mountain state park. Anyone have some good leads to where I can get some solid runs in?
Dave

Re: FNG

ItsBob
Finding the right trails near Ft Dix to train for Bear Mountain is going to be tough. You have some long trails near-by in the Batona Trail and the D&R Canal Towpath but neither is technical and both are as flat as can be. To mimic Bear Mountain terrain you'd have to head north to Bergen County and run in Ramapo/Ringwood or hit up the AT in Sussex county. At that point you might as well just travel a little further north and run in Bear mountain.

Re: FNG

Dmhamilton
Bob,
That's exactly what I was afraid of. I am a lost mountain runner trying to find his way in the garden state! Luckily my family fiancée and future stepdaughter own a home in the southern green mountains and I get about two weekends a month to train there. Is there anything good to be had in Brendan t Byrne or mercer county park?

Re: FNG

ItsBob
It's the Batona trial in Byrne. 50 miles with plenty of unmarked dirt roads shooting off in every direction but still nothing technical and no vertical.

Re: FNG

Mark
Its definitely not ideal, but your closest option might be Baldpate Mountain near Titusville.  There's some elevation, at times the trail can be technical (especially if you head off on some of the side trails), and it connects to the Washington Crossing Park trails if you want to add on extra mileage.

http://hiddentrenton.com/so-close-yet-so-far/

Re: FNG

Dmhamilton
Thanks mark!

Re: FNG

jbyram2
Baldpate Mountain is about as good as it gets down here.
Clayton Park in Imlaystown is good, but smaller.

Here's a local group to run with, usually at Mercer or Clayton Parks:

http://www.hamiltonareatrailruns.com/group-runs.html