Best hills climbs near Northern NJ

Let's hear them, road or trail. If you have a GPS track even better.

Consolidated list so far:

Trail

  • Halifax Trail (green) out of Ramapo Valley - Approx 440 ft. gain
  • Closter Dock Trail (orange blaze) that connect the Shore Trail to the Long Path - 460 ft. gain
  • Mt. Tammy in Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area - 1,500 ft. gain?
  • Highlands Trail north from Otterhole Road in Bloomingdale
  • Stonetown Circular - total elevation climb of 2,400ft over 5 peaks

Road:

  • Overmount Ave. in Woodland Park - 282 ft. gain in .58 miles
  • Little Falls Rd. to Eileen Drive in Little Falls/Cedar Grove - 380 ft. gain in 1.1 miles
  • Skyline Drive in Morristown
  • Skyline Drive in Ringwood (*heavy traffic*)

Re: Best hills climbs near Northern NJ

Mountain Goat
Skyline drive in Morristown is pretty good (but no where near as bad as one in ringwood but safer)

Re: Best hills climbs near Northern NJ

jason
Toughest climbs/mile in the local area for a trail that I know of in NJ (tammany area is good too if you do loop repeats)

https://www.strava.com/activities/51065716

Re: Best hills climbs near Northern NJ

Excellent, keep them coming.

Is that all the Long Path Jason?

Re: Best hills climbs near Northern NJ

jason
Mostly highlands trail, there's a ton of shootoffs from it. A fav route of mine is parking at "Otter Hole" (on Glenwild Ave. on the map about 4 miles from Bloomingdale), cross the stream (difficult in the spring) and go north on HT for ~12 miles and you hit the red, then can go south on that and make a good 28-30 mile loop. Or just double back for 25 that's a good 7 hour day. In the summer I need to drop water all over the place but you cross a road every 5 miles. Good bet that you can fast hike this at a pretty close speed to trying to run the whole thing!

Re: Best hills climbs near Northern NJ

Steve
Highland trail from otter hole up the hill is pretty substantial. Norvin Green in general has tougher trail climbs than ringwood. Cannonball from the trailhead at Barbara drive up and across the pedestrian bridge over 287 to the castle is also a fun and pretty substantial climb

Re: Best hills climbs near Northern NJ

If you consider Harriman State Park to be near North Jersey, than you will find unlimited climbs. I've been on just about every trail in the park, and i can't think of any that don't have at least one substantial climb. Many of these ascents are beyond my abilities, so i just power hike them.

For specific suggestions, both the SBM and R-D trails are each about 23 miles end to end, and have multiple climbs that will challenge any runner.

Re: Best hills climbs near Northern NJ

Excellent Michael, I'm adding SBM to my to-do list. The trail looks like a great and tough day run.

Re: Best hills climbs near Northern NJ

Michael K7
I did the entire SBM as a hike once, and it was probably the most challenging thing i've done. One day i hope to attempt it again, but run a good portion of it.

One word of advice:
study the maps carefully- if you decide to do it North to South, you will have to descend the south side of Pingyp Mountain, and that is the most dangerous descent i've encountered in this area. If conditions are wet, i would not attempt it without a partner, and ropes to belay each other.
If i do try and do this trail again sometime, i think i will be going south to north.

Here's a great blog by a guy who ran the entire trail in one day:

Part 1

Part 2

If you go for it, have a blast!

Re: Best hills climbs near Northern NJ

Hey Michael, any idea if there is parking at the south end of the SBM trail?  I looked at the map. but it didn't look like there was anything close.

Re: Best hills climbs near Northern NJ

Michael K7
Well, there is the train station parking lot a short walk away from the trailhead. I'm not sure what the rules are for parking on the weekends- i've always just taken the train or bus to Suffern and walked to the trailhead. (it's only about a 10 minute walk)
I don't remember seeing anything closer than that, the trailhead is right along 59, just three yellow blazes on a rock.

Re: Best hills climbs near Northern NJ

Carmine
Trail:  Stonetown Circular has a total elevation climb of 2,400ft over 5 peaks.  It is brutal!

Re: Best hills climbs near Northern NJ

TadHawk
Besides the orange-blazed Closter Dock Trail near the Park HQ in Alpine there are several other trails connecting the Long Path (which runs along the top of the N.J. Palisades) to the Shore Trail (which runs along the Hudson River at the base).

Forest View Trail (blue/white blaze) -- 520 ft in about 1/3 of a mile. The top half is mostly stairs. The top can be accessed along the approach road into the State Line Lookout area off of the Palisades Parkway, about 2.5 miles north of the Closter Dock Trail.

Huyler's Landing Trail (red blaze) -- 440 ft in about 0.55 mile. No stairs. Just a nice somewhat rocky though very runnable ascent. The top is about 2 miles south of Closter Dock Trail.

Dychman Hill Trail (yellow blaze) -- 340 ft in between 0.5 mile (trail) and 0.8 mile (road). You can take the sidewallk along the road (an extension of Palisades Ave in Englewood Cliffs) that goes down to the Englewood Cliff boat basin or the adjoining "trail" that is mostly stairs or cobblestone paths. The top is 2 miles north of the GWB.

Carpenter's Trail (blue blaze) -- 320 ft in maybe 1/4 mile. 90+% stairs. Top is about 1/4 mile north of GWB.  Bottom is along the road that leads from the Ross Dock Picnic Area to the boat lunch just near the GWB.

Maps at http://www.njpalisades.org/maps.html.

Re: Best hills climbs near Northern NJ

seanaes
All roads and cycling oriented but lots of steep stuff here http://www.roberts-1.com/b/u/nj/hills/index.htm