Anyone here runs the palisades ?

Amit Shah
I am a noobie at trail running. Did a few Half's at NJ Trail Series, and wondering if there is anyone that runs at palisades .. I usually park at the police station, and do a loop going down the Orange Blaze, on shore trail, climb up forest view trail, and back on long path trail ...
Jay

Re: Anyone here runs the palisades ?

Jay
its awesome over there, i love the rocks on the shore trail. I've only been there once and i loved it

Re: Anyone here runs the palisades ?

AnneP
I've run the Palisades once in October. I believe the trail you described - two loops. Would love to get back there again - once it warms up!

Re: Anyone here runs the palisades ?

I've run there a number of times, but not recently.
I usually take the bus to the Lost Brook Preserve, run those trails, then cross over and run the LP down to the GW bridge. Over the bridge, then catch the A train.
Once i ran from the Observatory at the state line all the way to the bridge- i think that's about a half marathon.

I've only been on the Shore Trail once, during a hike, and didn't like it. Too much garbage and other debris. That was a few years ago though, so things may be different now.

I prefer running in Harriman and South Mountain, so i don't make much of an effort to go back to the Palisades.

Re: Anyone here runs the palisades ?

TadHawk
My son and I run there all the time. Today we did the round trip from the Alpine HQ to the Cafe at the State Line Lookout (about 6.5 miles total). We run mostly in the Tenafly Nature Center / Lost Brook Preserve and along the Palisades. We will probably do a loop of the Nature Center (site of the Lost Brook Trail race in March -- which you should definitely sign up for!) tomorrow. Next Saturday planning on doing the round trip between TNC and HQ (8.4 if stay on top of Palisades, 10ish if go down to Shore Trail for one of the legs). Let me now if you want to join us.

Tad

Re: Anyone here runs the palisades ?

Charles
Haven't been out recently. At the start not too far from the bridge, you have the stone stairs that goes down to Ross Dock.  Thats a nice effort.

Otherwise, about 8 miles up you get far away from 9W and the Parkway.  Dead quiet and pretty cool.

If you follow the green trail, I believe you get up to Albany too.

Re: Anyone here runs the palisades ?

Michael K7
Yes, the green trail is the Long Path (356 miles), and will take you to John Boyd Thatcher State Park near Albany.
Here's a nice guide/overview:

Long Path-NYNJTC

Re: Anyone here runs the palisades ?

Amit Shah
TadHawk, after I  made this post, I found out that I have a possible stress fracture on on of my toes. Getting the MRI done today, but after that the podiatrist will tell me for how long I am grounded ... :-(  Fingers crossed !

Re: Anyone here runs the palisades ?

TadHawk
Sorry to hear that. I was out for 8 weeks or so after breaking my right pinkie toe the week before Columbus Day in October (not a stress fracture, rather a good old-fashioned clean break from getting stepped on by a large soccer player). Did several weeks of mostly treadmill work before hitting the trails again. It still gets a bit of inflammation after running but my podiatrist said that would probably happen for quite a few months. Otherwise it seems fine now. Hope to see you on the trails soon.

Re: Anyone here runs the palisades ?

Amit Shah
Ouch ... 8 weeks is a long long time .. Hope it U fully recover from it soon. Got the MRI done, and seeing the doctor this Thursday about it, so lets see .. I am pretty sure he is gonna stick it in one of those big shoe and not let me do anything .. Fingers crossed !

Hopefully diagnosis isn't sidelining.

Re: Anyone here runs the palisades ?

Amit Shah
So the good news - nothing broken. MRI report says entrapped nerve .. So doctor gave some relief pads and says keep running and see if that helps .. Lets see how that goes !

Thinking of running palisades on Sunday - 1st Feb. If anyone else is there, we can workout the time. Thinking about parking at the police-station, go down on closter dock trail, turn left on shore trail, upto forest view trail, climb forest view trail, come back to police station on long path trail. It is about 5.8 miles or so loop, around 500ft.