Altra Shoes

atsirkz
Hey! I'm pretty new to trail running, I've been hitting the trails in either Ramapo or Morristown 1-2 times a week since June, and finally decided to bite the bullet and get some trail shoes. I did a bit of research, and tried on the Altra Lone Peak 2.5. It fit wonderfully in the store, and has the low heel drop and wide toe box that I like in a shoe.

Fast forward to yesterday when I took them out for a run at Ramapo, first run in them on more technical terrain. I was slipping all over the place inside the shoe on any moderately technical descent, or while hopping through talus fields. I have them laced almost to the point of uncomfortably tight to try to mitigate it.

What I'm trying to figure out is if I size down, whether it will be markedly more narrow. I have about an inch of space at the toe. I've been wearing one full size bigger for running shoes than street for just about the past 10 years, and I'm wondering if that's not necessary with Altra.

Anybody have any experience/wisdom/sage advice to offer?

Re: Altra Shoes

Shamus Babcock
You want to keep a little bit of space between your toe and the front of the inside of the shoe so you don't crush your toenails when you kick things.  Maybe try a thicker sock like wool or even 2 pairs to help keep your foot from slipping?

Re: Altra Shoes

You can try a different lacing methodhttpmethodhttp

://runrepeat.com/top-10-running-shoe-lacing-techniques

Also what he said about sock. I've found certain socks work better with different shoes.

Re: Altra Shoes

Zen Runner
This post was updated on .
Hi, disclaimer: I'm not a fitter...but if your foot is slipping all over
the place on moderate descents, and if you already have them laced
excessively tight, then your problem may be bigger than socks or lacing. It
sounds like you either have the wrong size shoe, or the wrong shoe
altogether.

I like my shoe to hold my heel and mid-foot very snugly, with enough room
in the toe box to let my toes spread and move around a bit. But I never
tighten them excessively, as that can cause foot tendon problems. Not
everyone will agree with me, but in my experience, if your shoe fits the
whole of your foot properly, and if you're not prone to swelling, you
shouldn't really need to size up for the trail.

Re: Altra Shoes

Atsirkz
That lacing link is awesome I'm going to try a bit of both changing socks and changing lacing

Re: Altra Shoes

Atsirkz
If the key to getting these shoes to fit is double socks, they're probably not the best shoe for me. Doubling up on ducks sounds like a sweaty situation

Re: Altra Shoes

Atsirkz
Thanks for taking the time to type up a thorough answer. I am inclined to agree with you...I think at the very least I need a smaller size, I have a bit of space in the front of the shoe.

Re: Altra Shoes

Altra is known for having inconsistent sizing, between different shoe models, and even between different versions of the same shoe. Definitely try a smaller size in the LP, if it's still not working, you might need to try a different brand. (Or you could try the Altra Superior, but those have less cushioning than the LPs)