Altra Lone Peak 2.5

Michael K7
After running in my Trail Gloves all summer, my feet were beginning to feel beat up, and since the trails are currently covered in leaves, i decided to go back to more cushioned shoes for a while. I own the Merrell Bare Access Trail, and like them, but they're not much more cushioned than the TG, and don't have a rock plate. Since i had experience with the original Lone Peak and LP 1.5, i decided to give the newest version of the shoe a try, and i'm glad i did.
Somehow Altra added more cushioning, but made the shoe lighter. It doesn't feel as bulky as previous versions, and has a much better upper. Very breathable and comfortable. Altra got rid of most of the trail rudder on the back, which is a big improvement IMO, since all it seemed to do was flick dirt on the back of my calves, and into the back of the shoes. I have yet to use the gaiter trap feature, but i did buy a pair of the waterproof LP and the Altra gaiters, and will try them out this winter for some hiking/running.
Two negatives with this shoe that i think need to be addressed are:
1- similar to the member who posted a thread in the main section, i do notice that my foot moves around inside the shoe on steeper downhills. Not to an extreme degree, and i don't try and bomb downhills, so it's not a huge deal for me, but i don't remember having this issue with the original LP and the 1.5. If Altra can combine the upper of this version with the fit of the 1.5, i think it would be ideal.
2- the shoes do not have good traction on wet rocks. This has been the case with all the versions of the LP, and i think Altra needs to try a different type of rubber for their outsoles. To be fair, i've yet to own any shoe that i thought gave excellent traction on wet rocks, but the LP is worse than the other brands i've worn.
Overall, this is a good shoe for the times when i want more cushioning and protection for my feet on trail runs.

Re: Altra Lone Peak 2.5

jason
Definitely agree with the room issue. I have narrower feet to begin with but by the second use I had to pull the laces out so much it was like trailing aircraft ribbons behind. I life the traction much better than Cascadias though.

Re: Altra Lone Peak 2.5

Michael K7
Now that the shoes are thoroughly broken in, i don't notice my foot sliding around as much. Either i've dialed in the right amount of tightness in lacing them up, or the shoes have molded themselves to my feet!

But i'm really liking the fit and feel of them at this point.

Re: Altra Lone Peak 2.5

Michael732
I am currently running in Hoka ATR's. I like them but I have developed a morton's neuroma in my foot. I friend recommended I start running in the Altra's because of the wide toebox. I looked into the shoe and read that they also have a zero drop. Was wondering how this will change my run stride. Im thinking it shouldn't because I used to run in New Balance Minimus AT10. And issue with the zero drop?

Re: Altra Lone Peak 2.5

Michael K7
I'm not too familiar with Hoka's, what is the heel to toe difference in those?
If you are used to landing with a midfoot or forefoot stride, the zero drop probably won't be an issue, but i would still transition carefully (ie, don't take your Altra's out for a 20 miler the first time...)
If you are a heel striker, you will need to adapt to running in zero drop shoes, and it will take some time (be prepared to have sore calves).

Some of the minimus are zero drop, others are 4mm.

Re: Altra Lone Peak 2.5

Michael732
Thanks Mike. I have been working hard to transition to forefoot striking because of my knee problems. I am now wondering if the Hoka's were a bad move due to the MAX cushioning. They have a 5mm drop. Nothing terrible. I just need the bigger toe box.

Re: Altra Lone Peak 2.5

Michael K7
One of the things i like about Altra is that they offer shoes with different amounts of cushioning, but all are still zero drop and have a wide toebox.
If you have a LRS near you that stocks Altras, you can check out the trail shoes:

Superior- light cushioning
Lone Peak- medium cushioning
Olympus- max cushioning (i don't know how the Olympus compares to Hokas- i've never tried either shoe)

I hope you can find the shoes that work best for you.
Les

Re: Altra Lone Peak 2.5

Les
I finished a year of trail running in Altra LP 2.5 and it did take a little getting used to at first. Felt the play mentioned and tighter lacing did address this but they did remind me of clown shoes :-)

Caught a rock a couple weeks ago and slashed the side so that was the end of that pair.  Ordered the LP3.0 and they are a little narrower but still have plenty of toe box space.  There were mixed reviews on the shoe, more bad than good that I found but I really liked the 2.5 once they were dialed in.  I'm not disappointed at all with the 3.0. in fact I like them better than the 2.5 as the first 6 mile run there was no break in, no tightening the laces beyond normal and they added a strip of protection on the side of the front that will prevent the slash I gained in the last pair.

Die hard Brooks Cascadia wearer which I still love but these are lighter and I still gain all the comfort.

Happy trails -

-Les