All Trails In Ramapo Mountain State Forest Closed

All Trails In Ramapo Mountain State Forest Closed

Michael K7
This is supposedly due to "unusual black bear activity", although what exactly that means is anyone's guess.

Here's the link:

http://www.state.nj.us/dep/parksandforests/parks/ramapo.html

I figured i'd post this in case anyone was thinking of heading down there.

Re: All Trails In Ramapo Mountain State Forest Closed

ItsBob
I just ran up there this morning. Access to all trails in Ramapo State Forest side (to the left as you travel up Skyline Drive from 287) are closed. The parking lot at the bottom of skyline is blocked off but the top is open. At the top you can run on the MOMA\Orange trail\Camp Yaw Paw side across from the large parking area but the trails on the same side as the parking area are closed. On Saturday the State Park Police were there with hunters looking for the bear. To kill or tranquilize I don't know.

Re: All Trails In Ramapo Mountain State Forest Closed

ItsBob
http://www.nj.com/bergen/index.ssf/2015/10/bear_encounters_force_closure_of_ramapo_mountain_s.html

From the article:
"All access points to the 4,200-acre state forest will remain closed at least until the end of the week despite the capture and euthanization of the bear believed responsible for several recent encounters, the state Division of Fish and Wildlife said in a news release.

Department of Environmental Protection spokesman Larry Hajna told NJ Advance Media the 2-year-old female bear that biologists believe was responsible for these encounters was caught and killed on Monday, but numerous traps will remain in place and continue to be monitored by Fish and Wildlife officials."

Re: All Trails In Ramapo Mountain State Forest Closed

Ramapo Reservation is now also closed due to an incident involving a bear.

Re: All Trails In Ramapo Mountain State Forest Closed

tfarabaugh
It reopened today.  I particular like this bit of excellent reporting:

"A bear caught in Ramapo Valley Reservation in Mahwah was also killed because it matched the description provided by hikers who said they had been chased a few weekends ago."

Matched the description?  It was black and furry and had feet?  Seriously do we believe the average person can accurately describe a bear well enough to make it identifiable to a third party?

http://www.northjersey.com/news/ramapo-mountain-state-forest-ramapo-valley-reservation-reopened-after-bear-reports-1.1436867

Re: All Trails In Ramapo Mountain State Forest Closed

vw102
This past Saturday, on my way to Wawayanda State Park, I did see the parking lot for Hoeferlin on Skydrive blocked off and was wondering what it was about.
I was planning to go this afternoon to Ramapo. I guess I will watch for anything that matches the description of a bear...

Re: All Trails In Ramapo Mountain State Forest Closed

tfarabaugh
I am actually much more concerned about creatures matching the description of deer ticks!

Let me know if you have any problems getting in.  I was going to head up for a run on Saturday and don't want to make the drive for nothing.

Re: All Trails In Ramapo Mountain State Forest Closed

Michael K7
Tommy wrote
I am actually much more concerned about creatures matching the description of deer ticks!
Agreed, as well as the ones matching the description of rattlesnakes!