Advice for my first 50 M?

JRMotown
Anyone have any last words? I've been out because of a hip injury that I am having physical therapy on. I just started running again yesterday and if it heals fast enough I hope I retained some of my long-distance ability, enough for the 17 hour cutoff.

So, what do you eat the days before? If its in the 50's the day of? Look like a bear in case someone tosses candy? Climbing vs. decending?

Re: Advice for my first 50 M?

Tom7
What you done Jason?
Eat well but not heavy (No porterhouse steak) the night before and dont drink too much.

Mostly important is not to worry too much - just enjoy it.

Good luck

Cheers

Re: Advice for my first 50 M?

Jason, best of luck at the race this weekend!

Sorry to hear about the set back, but your training has been really solid, so just keep everything the same as you have been doing.

Barring any injury during the race, you will have no problem coming in under the time limit.

I can't wait to hear the race report.

Re: Advice for my first 50 M?

JRMotown
Thanks! My hip is still bothering me and it's still on my mind whether to go or not. I should tough it out but on the other hand don't want to reinjure it and miss cooler events like MOMA. I did a 10K yesterday on my own and it was still there. That's life. But with a 16.5 hour cutoff I oculd probably hike/run it with not much problems. See you Sunday maybe,

Re: Advice for my first 50 M?

Great Job Jason!!!!!

Ninth place overall is a very impressive performance. I guess your hip held out.  Looking forward to hearing about the race

http://www.virgilcrestultras.com/Results.aspx

Re: Advice for my first 50 M?

There was a section that was identical to run with the devil. I reached out for heed but there was only gatorade, arg!

11 hours and 48 minutes later I had a very good beer, and it took me another 16 hours to walk to my car.

Some folks did the 100, and times went from 23 to 34 hours!

Re: Advice for my first 50 M?

Missed your post by like a minute, Thanks C man! yeah man a lot of times I started thinking  not in terms of miles, but loops of Watchung.

Tom- I ate too well the night before. Of course it probably was a bad idea by mile 30 lol. Held off on the steak though.

Re: Advice for my first 50 M?

Tom7
Good stuff Jason. Well done.
Running Mountain Madness?

Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

From: "JRMtown [via NJ Trail & Ultra Forum]" <[hidden email]>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2010 17:36:50 -0700 (PDT)
To: Tom7<[hidden email]>
Subject: Re: Advice for my first 50 M?

Missed your post by like a minute, Thanks C man! yeah man a lot of times I started thinking  not in terms of miles, but loops of Watchung.

Tom- I ate too well the night before. Of course it probably was a bad idea by mile 30 lol. Held off on the steak though.

View message @ http://nj-trail-ultra-forum.4246737.n2.nabble.com/Advice-for-my-first-50-M-tp5552782p5577574.html

Re: Advice for my first 50 M?

JRMtown wrote
I started thinking not in terms of miles, but loops of Watchung.
Ha! I don't know how many times at TR I said, just one more loop of Watchung to go. It should be a new unit of measurement.

Re: Advice for my first 50 M?

JRMotown
I know right the loops of insanity- I'm glad you guys pushed me through it (and kept me on the trail) because I'm sure it helped me get my goal of under 12 hours. And pushed me to get that final couple laps on run with the devil holy hills.

I'll see you guys at Madness, should be hella fun.