2011 Declarations

I'm starting this thread to let anybody who wishes to publicly declare their race/running/fitness goals for 2011.  Putting your goals out there will put a little more pressure to meet them, and it is fun to go back at the end of the year to see just how much you actually did.

Chris' 2011 Goals:
-Complete a 100 mile race
-Do another half ironman and not suck so much on the bike (I'm counting on you road bikers to peer pressure me get out there to ride more...when the weather is warmer of course)
-Beat Tom in an ultra
-Do a long distance bikepacking trip
-Win a race!

Have at it!

Re: 2011 Declarations

RPMcMurphy(Rob)
Run and finish my first 50 miler
Have a run split in a sprint triathlon that's...well, better than this year!
Finally break 20mph avg in a bike split

Re: 2011 Declarations

-cut out unhealthy, processed food completely (maybe once or twice a month at most)
-finish the winter/spring ultras and Leadville
-buy a mountain bike
-Gansett marathon in an uninjured state
-learn a language during solo runs

Re: 2011 Declarations

Good thread. If maybe a touch early.

My goals:

Teach the natives to speak, and maybe even write English.
Understand anything at all written by Jason.
Keep up with Len on a downhill section.
Get off my arse and organise a run (equivalent effort to Deirdres run) rather than just letting everyone else organise everything.
Grow a beard as ginger and yet somehow manly as Seans.
Destroy Chris.
Teach Kristen a new excuse she hasn't already used.
Run a bit. A good target would be to run more miles than pints drunk. A stretching target but I believe achievable.
Convince Jules that school is a waste of time and should definitely be much lower on his list of priorities. Its only his future afterall.
Keep up with Len on an uphill or flat section.
Use my charm to facilitate growth in the NJ Trail and Ultra group.
Enjoy my last full year as a sub-40 yr old.

Re: 2011 Declarations

Alright guys everyone has a great list, some however like to list fantasies (@Chris -"win a race" ?) hahaha jokes.

2011 Preliminary goals
Run 100 miles in under 24 hours
Study while i run
Run a 19 min or less 5k
Do more backpacking
Figure out my cramping problems
Run the JFK 50
Write my thesis next semester while trying to achieve these fitness goals and have my friends laugh at me.
Run a race in a different country
Bring Laura to our trail runs
Be a stronger hill runner
Become a better MTB rider
Tell Dean Karanzas he sucks (but i really think he doesn't)

AND

Find a rain jacket that keeps dray without sweating like a pig.

Re: 2011 Declarations

seanaes
Keep having fun while running
Run a sub 20 minute 5k
Run 100 miles
Run more hills
Run an ultra distance at least once per month
Lose enough weight to no longer be classified as overweight
Keep getting either stronger or faster, preferably both
Continue to make Tom jealous of my 'ginger' beard

Re: 2011 Declarations

Jules "silentstorm" Moore wrote
Find a rain jacket that keeps dray without sweating like a pig.

Second that

Re: 2011 Declarations

RPMcMurphy(Rob)
I'll add to my list:

- Be able to join ya'll for a group run and be able to keep up!

Re: 2011 Declarations

seanaes wrote
Run an ultra distance at least once per month
I like this one, might have to steal it.

Jules "silentstorm" Moore wrote
Alright guys everyone has a great list, some however like to list fantasies (@Chris -"win a race" ?) hahaha jokes.
I'm trying to find a race where the only other competitor is a morbidly obese asthmatic chain smoker with poor navigational skills!  I'm counting on Rick to give me the inside tip if said race circumstances present themselves.

Re: 2011 Declarations

Run more miles than beers consumed.  I am not willing to say ounces consumed because that will probably never happen.
Run and finish a 100 Mile race (Viaduct is on my schedule)
Get out for more group runs.
Run the AT in NJ (from Greenwood Lake to Rt 80 by the DWG)

One of my goals is to run a BQ.  I just seem to lazy to train and unfortunately am not blessed with natural talent of being able to drink everyday and eat whatever I want while not running and still be able to go run a BQ.  I need to find the motivation to get out of the house every day.  I can easily set it up to run the marathon at 3 Days at the Fair.  It is a certified course and would be eligible.

Re: 2011 Declarations

RNR wrote
I'm trying to find a race where the only other competitor is a morbidly obese asthmatic chain smoker with poor navigational skills!  I'm counting on Rick to give me the inside tip if said race circumstances present themselves.
Does it have to be an ultra?  I can always let you know your best chance at some of the other races.  I went out and won a 5 miler we put on and only had 20 people show up for.

Re: 2011 Declarations

RPMcMurphy(Rob)
don't rule out smokers! My buddy Tom smoked 3 cigs before running chicago in 2:45....with no nutrition or hydration the whole race.

he ran mountain madness the week later..and did *almost* the 50 (he got lost intending to do the 25k so didn't do that first section)...in a respectable time!

Re: 2011 Declarations

RPMcMurphy wrote
don't rule out smokers! My buddy Tom smoked 3 cigs before running chicago in 2:45....with no nutrition or hydration the whole race.

he ran mountain madness the week later..and did *almost* the 50 (he got lost intending to do the 25k so didn't do that first section)...in a respectable time!
And he obviously has poor navigation skills too, as he got lost!  But I met him, he is nowhere near morbidly obese and I don't think he has asthma.  I'm going for four out of four of the conditions I mentioned!

NJ Trail Series wrote
Does it have to be an ultra?  I can always let you know your best chance at some of the other races.  I went out and won a 5 miler we put on and only had 20 people show up for.
Not at all Rick.  Keep your eyes open for me.  Btw -  doesn't it violate some RD rule to win your own race!

Re: 2011 Declarations

Kristen
*Run an ultra
*stay injury free
*Have fun
*learn to not hate the hellish blue trail at South Mountain (or to stay off it completely)
*learn to never again try to keep up with Len on the Blue Trail (or any other trail, for that matter)
*teach Tom how to say "get go" instead of "gecko"

Thanks, Kristen

Re: 2011 Declarations

How is the PF coming along Kristen?

Re: 2011 Declarations

Kristen
Very well, thanks. See the doc tomorrow for a follow up. I think he'll give me the thumbs up to run again either this week or next. Kind of getting sick of swimming and biking :). Thanks so much for asking - I miss everyone!