10/26 Norvin Green

jrmtown
Planning a time trial in Norvin Green on the highlands trail from Otter hole next Sat.  probably starting 8AM. I will be leaving water at the 5 mile point (Stonetown rd) if anyone is interested in going out there. The water will be in jugs or something of equal ability to contain it.

Re: 10/26 Norvin Green

Steve
um - time trial and norvin green in the leaves - should be "interesting" - Im already thinking of going back after my exploratory mission this past weekend but, there is no way I'll even try keeping up with you at your time trial pace. I averaged 22minute pace going out to highpoint and back. I think you are closer to the 16 / 17 minute range. The leaves are tough right now. Cant see the trail... what do you figure distance will be to stonetown and back?

Re: 10/26 Norvin Green

JRMotown
Yeah forgot about the whole leaves issue, stone town is exactly 5 out from otter hole- more if starting at wanaque, right next to a bagel shop which is the hardest part getting past. That way eases up from a urban area into the wild blue yonder like the hobbit

Re: 10/26 Norvin Green

Steve
I guess I could have read your post more carefully. What is your plan from Stonetown? Continue north or heading back to otter hole?

Re: 10/26 Norvin Green

JRMotown
The fact one can decipher anything I type is hope indeed. Planning at least 20 here if I had my dunking doughnuts (not sure if Tom still reads this). From Stonetown, you can keep going north to monksville dam (another 5 miles). Much harder this next section though, I would block off 3-4 hours for out and back for this section alone, and the whole 25 miles (past monksville up another giant hill and back to the start) can end up taking 6-8 hours.

Re: 10/26 Norvin Green

Steve
Yes the topo looks pretty tough north of stone town. I might be up for the out and back (otter - stonetown - otter). I'll be on time if I can swing it. You will finish far ahead of me even if I don't stop for photos.

Re: 10/26 Norvin Green

jrmtown
Great! I always put the water in a plastic bag near the stone barrier of the tiny parking area once you cross the grass field. I might even throw in some tablerones for the holiday spirit.

Re: 10/26 Norvin Green

Steve
Well I won't be able to make Saturday (funeral) ... Probably going to try Sunday or the following week. Good luck and watch out for dem bears!

Re: 10/26 Norvin Green

JRMotown
Ok good luck if you go Sunday! I'll leave the water and tablerones if you need any

Re: 10/26 Norvin Green

Steve
Post your time on strava so I have something to chase :)

Re: 10/26 Norvin Green

NJtrailrunner
Good thinking Jason, NG trails will get your ankles warmed up for DWG.  Follow this track if needed.  http://connect.garmin.com/activity/301432334
Plan for some company post One Day.

Re: 10/26 Norvin Green

Steve
That is a nice loop and a very strong run for those rocky hills. Well done.

Re: 10/26 Norvin Green

AliBryanJones
Didn't manage to run at Norvin Green last weekend but hiked up to Wanaque High Point with the kids instead which was probably more fun - what a view from the summit!

Re: 10/26 Norvin Green

Got 21 out and back from Monks res. The leaves made it slow going downhill but feeling improvement, this trail always beats me up. A few hikers did what I did before and mistakened the Highlands Trail (teal) for the blue. Very easy to do the first time. They would have ended up wayyy down that hill..

The water jug is hidden next to the last square stone parking lot barrier

Re: 10/26 Norvin Green

Steve
Nice run. Just looked at the strava data. Well done. I'll probably do the O-B to stonetown for an "easy" 10 tomorrow.

Re: 10/26 Norvin Green

Steve
3:34 for the 10mile Otter hole / Stonetown O-B. The leaves were treacherous - so dry and slippery. I dont know how you go so fast.... beautiful day... life is good

Re: 10/26 Norvin Green

JRMotown
Yeah mane! That trail burns the legs. I think it is difficult not just because of the steep ups but you really have to concentrate every second  (except for the sweet downhill road part). One could argue it would equal twice the distance in road. Glad you had a good run.